The Wild Horse "Problem"

Carien Schippers
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Carien Schippers

The Wild Horse "Problem"

Post by Carien Schippers »

I have to admit that before my trip to Nevada in February of 2012 I was not aware of the scope and scale of the wild horse "problem". I had seen the horses on some of the ranges in Colorado and Wyoming and these vast ranges and the good health of the horses there lead me to believe that the ranges could support them without human intervention. While this may be true on some of the ranges what I saw in Nevada has changed my thinking. We hear so much about the wild horses on BLM lands that are rounded up and in the holding pens waiting for adoption (45,000-50,000 horses are in long and short term holding facilities at this moment with only a fraction of that number finding homes.) But, there horses other than the BLM wild horses in the west. Please read the rest of my thoughts in my blog:

http://imagequine.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... oblem.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Doing what you love is freedom,
Loving what you do is happiness"

~ Chinese proverb

Equine Photography by Carien Schippers
• ImagEquine Home
• ImagEquine on Facebook
carolcoronios
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Carol Lynn Coronios

Re: The Wild Horse "Problem"

Post by carolcoronios »

A well-written article, Carien, with a thoughtful call to action (brainstorming solutions IS action step #1).

Of course, the human invasion has affected all wildlife, not solely horses. As our takeover continues, the process grows, with well-meaning but ignorant people:
1. Feeding the pretty/cute/poor little creatures
2. Finding the not-so-pretty/not-so-cute/not-always-so-little creatures to be a PITA when they want to share the garden/yard/home/etc.
3. Getting up in arms about the 'menace' when WILD ANIMALS become unafraid of humans, and thereforebecome more assertive in THEIR wants/needs
4. Dumping 'pets' who had no business being 'pets' in the first place out on public land (python segment on news last week comes to mind) without thought for the consequences

All of which tend to lead to solutions which engender a violent backlash by also well-meaning but ignorant (truly or intentionally) humans.

Carol
Carol Lynn Coronios
As You Like It Equine Photography
fine art, portraits, competitions
. As You Like It Equine Photography Home
. As You Like It on Facebook
. As You Like It EPN portfolio
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Re: The Wild Horse "Problem"

Post by shapack »

Very well written! I was rambling around Nevada in 1981 in search of wild horses. All one had to do was drive a few miles out of Vegas towards the mountains. They were everywhere. I remembering trying to photography running horses with a manual focus 200mm. I couldn't do it! Thank you ladies for teaching me how to photograph running horses.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com

Return to “Horses in Need Documentary Project 2012”