Circle F Horse Rescue

Kevang
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Kevan Garecki

Circle F Horse Rescue

Post by Kevang »

CF.jpg
Sable & one of our R.J. clients, Sable has proven to be the most amazing healer!

I've been involved in one capacity or another in rescue & rehab for over 25 years now, and have known Circle F for over 10 of those. I began by donating some hauling for them on occasion, helping out with the odd challenge & holding clinics on their behalf to aid in fundraising. A little over 2 years ago, the head of the horse team, Sandy Forward, approached me to say that their current manager, Walter Paetkau, had announced he would like to step down & retire. Long story mercifully shortened, the board at Circle F offered my the position, and I jumped at the chance!

The last year & a half have seen some significant changes on the charitable front here in Canada, most notably in BC. Several grants that charities such as Circle F have come to rely on are now simply not available, while the applications for others have become so convoluted as to make them almost unattainable. Hence, we have had to restructure, reviewing virtually all of our operating habits & procedures; in the process, we have rediscovered the old adage that when one door closes, others open in their wake ...

I have been able to take the first small steps towards my own personal dream by forging a comfortable working arrangement with a few key folks in the Restorative Justice program here in BC. This has allowed us to begin to integrate teens who would have been previously considered "at risk" (to re-offend), introduce & actively include them into our rehabilitation schemes,working hands on with our horses, in various stages of need & development. The result has been more than gratifying, and I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit we've shed a few tears of happiness over what we've seen from these kids.

Some have come in with a chip on their shoulder bigger than a dump truck, while others were so self-absorbed & withdrawn we wondered if anything or anyone could ever break through such a crust of resistance. But breakthroughs did indeed happen, and repeatedly! This year I am making contacts & plans to expand this program, and lay the groundwork for the final phase, a residential program where the kids spend 6-9 months on site, immersed in a working ranch environment learning teamwork & life skills.

www.circlef.ca
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kevang on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are responsible forever for that which we tame."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Kevang
EPNet General Member

Re: Circle F Horse Rescue

Post by Kevang »

CF1.jpg
This is what we do. We take hearts & put them back together, even if we have to use the remains from two different hearts to do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kevang on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevang
EPNet General Member

Post by Kevang »

CF2.jpg
Tao proved to be one of the most challenging horses we'd ever had at Circle F. We pondered more than a few times if he just might not find that special human . Then, one day ....
Kevang
EPNet General Member

Post by Kevang »

CF3.jpg
Baby was my own "most challenging". I took part in the SPCA action when she was seized, completely feral & utterly terrified of humans. Every aspect of her rehab took 5 times longer, and taxed my imagination to the point where I would lay awake at night seeing her sullen, withdrawn face shrinking farther & farther away from me.
Nearly two years this journey plodded along until one day, as I walked past the barn to photograph some of the local eagles, I heard a small nicker & turned to see this look from Baby.

And that little voice in the back of my head whispered "Paid In Full" ...
Kevang
EPNet General Member

Post by Kevang »

CF4.jpg
If there's a better reason for doing this, I haven't found it yet ...
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

You made me cry, Kevan! This is so sweet and so fulfilling and so wonderful! Good on you and the folks you were with for the horses and the kids!!! Lovely story.
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook

Return to “Horses in Need Documentary Project 2015”