Misha's Story, for the Many

Kristen Warning
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Kristen Warning

Misha's Story, for the Many

Post by Kristen Warning »

_DSC0636.jpg
You’ve heard the expression of “Being in the right place at the right time.” For Misha, this was so very true, though she had to endure being neglected by her former owner for quite a duration in the meantime. Here is her story.

Folks from Heartland Equine Rescue in southern Indiana, with locations in Corydon and Henryville, were picking up a draft horse that was being rescued from an individual, and were trailering it to the farm. When they arrived, they noticed an emaciated quarter horse, full of despair. They asked the owner about the horse and what her story was. He said that the mare needed dental work, but he didn’t want to put the money into her, so he just didn’t bother having it done. The result was pain and hunger for many months, resulting in the quarter horse weighing only around 700 pounds. The owner said Heartland could just have her if they wanted Misha. Of course they did, and proceeded.

The draft horse was loaded, but there was not enough room for Misha on the trailer. So they trailered the draft horse to the farm and made a second trip back to pick up the mare. When they went to load Misha, she went on without hesitation - as if she knew what fate lay ahead - from being in the right place at the right time.

In a few days time at the Heartland Equine Rescue, she had a full overview by a veterinarian and had two teeth pulled, which had been causing her undeniable pain for who knows how long. Her feet were trimmed. Her delicate coat brushed out as gently as possible.

I saw Misha a week after she arrived. I approached her slowly and after she investigated my hand, I ran it across the bones protruding from every angle of her fragile frame. I couldn’t help but get teary, seeing a horse is such deplorable condition, from a dental procedure that was not invested into her by her previous owner, that cost less than $100. Despite all she had gone through and how terrible she still probably felt, she already had hope in her eyes.
Several weeks later I visited Misha at Heartland Equine Rescue. She has gained weight and looked like she was progressing well on her carefully managed diet. I was told that she’s feeling good, and has some friskiness about her sometimes. All good to see and hear. The hope, and perhaps feeling of happiness, is in her eyes.

Heartland Equine Rescue rehabilitates and places equines, finding them suitable homes that are appropriate for the equine and the adopter. They rely on donations for feed, medical bills, farrier and dental work. Heartland has a wonderful group of individuals who make up this organization and have had many successful placements of their rescues, as well as caring for permanent equine residents at both locations.

If you would like more information about Heartland Equine Rescue and/or to make a donation please visit their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/heartlandequinerescue/?fref=ts or their web page http://heartlandequine.webs.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kristen Warning on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristen Warning
EPNet Pro Member

Re: Misha's Story, for the Many

Taken the first day I saw Misha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kristen Warning
EPNet Pro Member

Several weeks later, her progress.
Kristen Warning
EPNet Pro Member

Hope, comfort, and perhaps happiness.

Return to “Horses in Need Documentary Photo Project 2016”