Dewey's Deliverance by Theresa L. Fleming

tlfleming
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Theresa L. Fleming

Dewey's Deliverance by Theresa L. Fleming

Post by tlfleming »

Dewey's deliverance story begins with an email received on November 5th, 2016. My friend, Amy Vyskocil of Happy Haven Farm and Sanctuary in Byers, Colorado (http://www.happyhavenfarm.org), sent me an email about a 13.2 hand Welsh Cob gelding that she had found on one of the Colorado kill lots. While walking in amongst the horses at the kill lot this sorrel gelding followed her where ever she went, like he knew she was his "life-line". Amy had known of our search for a small horse for use as a lead line pony in our Literacy Programs and quickly sent me an email with photographs of Dewey on the lot. With some negotiations we were finally able to pay his "bail".

I went with her to the kill lot on November 11th, 2016 (Veterans Day) to pick him up and trailer him to her place for the mandatory 30 day quarantine. It broke my heart to see all the horses that had not been "bailed out"! We had hoped to "bail out" an elderly mule that was the Welsh Cob's friend but by the time we had the money the kill lot owner said the mule was already in the trailer, loaded and ready to go to the Mexico slaughter plant. He said he would take the mule off the trailer for double the bail price he had originally quoted us. We just didn't have the money to do that. I still tear up when I think about the fact that we couldn't save Dewey's mule friend, too.

Not knowing what this pony gelding's name was previously we decided on the name Dewey which means "prized" in the Welsh language. We also chose the name Dewey because of the Dewey Decimal System, a library cataloging system that is still in use by some libraries.

Dewey now has his own story to tell the children who visit Blessing Way Miniatures mini ranch and E.L.L.A. Equine Learning and Literacy Advocates (a 501c3 nonprofit---www.horsesforliteracy.com) book lending library. A story of deliverance and of being given value.

A meaningful quote by Andrew Linzey: "We can't change the world for animals (horses) without changing our ideas about animals (horses). We have to move from the idea that animals (horses) are things, tools, machines, commodities, resources here for our use to the idea that as sentient (able to feel things) beings they have their own inherent value and dignity."
tlfleming
Registered Guest

Re: Dewey's Deliverance by Theresa L. Fleming

Post by tlfleming »

A matched pair. In the quarantine pen with Tessa, a registered quarter horse, who came with Dewey from the kill lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tlfleming
Registered Guest

Post by tlfleming »

Casting shadows. Time to enjoy the warm sunshine before another winter storm moves in. Photo taken during Dewey's time in quarantine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tlfleming
Registered Guest

Post by tlfleming »

Coming home. Dewey being delivered to us on New Year's Day 2017! New day, new year, and a new life for Dewey.
tlfleming
Registered Guest

Post by tlfleming »

Time to run. Getting the kinks out of the legs after the trailer ride.
tlfleming
Registered Guest

Post by tlfleming »

Striking a pose. "Look at me I'm HOME!"
tlfleming
Registered Guest

Post by tlfleming »

"Welcome to our family". A "meet and greet" time with Latigo, one of Blessing Way's miniature horse storytellers.
Kevang
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Kevan Garecki

Post by Kevang »

Absolutely love stories like this one Theresa!
Thanks for sharing & bringing a smile!
"We are responsible forever for that which we tame."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Sara_Goodnick
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sara Goodnick

Post by Sara_Goodnick »

Beautiful story. Really enjoyed learning about the literacy project and seeing the photographs as the story unfolded.

Return to “Horses in Need Documentary Photo Project 2016”