Looking to upgrade from my Canon 50D

Featuring equipment for sale, trade or wanted, support services and photographic products offered by EPNet Members.

Moderator: admin

PamK
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Pam Kipper Gabriel

Looking to upgrade from my Canon 50D

Post by PamK »

Hi....I'm currently using the 50D...my only camera, no backup. I'd like to make that one my backup and get something new for my main camera. I'm wondering if anyone has a step or 2 up from the 50D (used) that they are thinking of selling or what your thoughts are on the 7D, Mark___, 60D, etc...I don't want top of the line brand new (and can't afford right now either), but would like a good solid used camera that is better than my 50D. Thanks much!! Pam
Pam Kipper Gabriel
http://www.pamgabrielphotography.com
St. Paul, MN
Breakawaysue
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Stacy Judd

Re: Looking to upgrade from my Canon 50D

Post by Breakawaysue »

It depends on what kind of work you do. I don't know if you have a good lens or not? If you don't your money will probably be better spent upgrading that first. If you do have good glass then it is going to come down to what you really need to get the job done. After all what you need and what you want may not be the same thing. Figure out what areas of your work need improved, make up a chart from your events the last couple years and see where sales might have been better if you had better equipment. For example, do you need more fps, higher ISO for indoor work, larger sensor, weather proofing, etc. Once you know where you are good and where you need help, you can figure out which camera has what you need. It would be better to wait a while, save up to get a more expensive camera if that is what you really need instead of getting one now that will not do what you want and you have to upgrade again soon. Hope all that made sense?

Here's what I've heard or know.

A friend got a 60D last spring and she really loves it. She only shoots outdoors and most of it is portrait stuff, not events and has no intention of shooting sporting events any time soon, so this is plenty of camera for her to grow into for a few years to come. She is not using L lenses.

A second friend had a 50D for about 2 yrs and this summer upgraded to the 60D. She likes it, but says she would have upgraded to something better if she could have afforded it. She shoots a lot of indoor gymnastics. I see quite a bit of motion blur and feel like she may not have enough camera to really do the job as good as she really wants. She is not shooting with an L lens either, so a better lens might be enough to help her be where she wants to be.

A third friend who is a pro-photog had a 40D, upgraded to a 7D a couple years ago and said it was a great camera. Then she started doing a lot of indoor work and the 7D couldn't do the job as well as she wanted. She does use L lenses. This spring she upgraded to a 1D Mark IV and said it was the best thing she ever did. I can tell the difference in her indoor work, not that it was bad before, but the higher ISO ability made a difference.

I started with a T2i and used it for a couple years shooting outdoor events. Many photographers probably think that's a joke, and no one can call themselves a "real" photographer with an inferior camera like that, but I made a lot of money with that little camera and hold my head up high. Everyone has to have a starting place. I was smart (I think) and got a 70-200 f2.8 lens as soon as I could. It was worth every penny, can't recommend it highly enough. The T2i is horrible indoors and I outgrew it, as more of my work started being indoors or at night. I was able to upgrade to a 1D Mark IV and in my opinion it's pure heaven on earth. I got it used, in excellent shape. I needed a work horse like that for my indoor cowboy mounted shooting, night rodeos, indoor horse shows, and rodeos in serious dust or pouring rain, and this is the right fit for me. People may really dog me for saying this part: As much as I love it, in all honesty it might be over kill for outdoor shows though, it is not light to pack around, I really have to use a monopod or I am a hurting puppy at the end of the day. Maybe I'm a wimp, maybe not? But if you shoot 14 hour days or cover a lot of miles, the weight of your equipment is something important to consider.

While the 1D rocks and you'd have to pry mine out of my cold dead fingers to get it, I wonder if you wouldn't be just as happy with a 5D Mark III? They are a little easier on the budget and excellent cameras. Might just be a nice happy medium for you? If the 1D or 5D is more than you want/can afford, I'd go for the 7D over the 60D based on results I've seen. I think what ever you get, a used one would be a good idea as long as you get it tested to make sure it works as it should. Just like a car, the second they leave the show room floor they start going down in price. Just my two cents, can't wait to see what others have to say :P
The ability to work hard is not talent. It is, however...the best substitute for it. ~ Clinton Anderson
sj@stacyjudd.com
http://www.stacyjudd.com
carolcoronios
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Carol Lynn Coronios

Post by carolcoronios »

Stacy, that is a thorough, well-organized, invaluable response. Lots of 'thumbs up'!

Carol
Carol Lynn Coronios
As You Like It Equine Photography
fine art, portraits, competitions
. As You Like It Equine Photography Home
. As You Like It on Facebook
. As You Like It EPN portfolio
PamK
EPNet Pro Member

Post by PamK »

Thank you so much, Stacy! That was the best reply ever! :) I do have the 70-200 f2.8 L lens. I mostly shoot horses, dogs, seniors, families outdoors. I've started to dabble a little bit with indoor studio...but have lights for that. Also have my own lights I could take and set up elsewhere. I'm really not shooting indoor sports, etc...unless it's for my own use like our kids in their sports. I really appreciate your input...thanks so much!
Pam Kipper Gabriel
St. Paul, MN
EquusUnbridled
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Jessica Robinson

Post by EquusUnbridled »

Great information Stacey!

I went from a 20D to IDMkIII to a 5DII to a 5DIII. All my bodies have been purchased used, in excellent condition. Love love loved the fps on the IDMkIII, but the image quality (while perfectly acceptable), was not outstanding in my opinion. Knew some photographers shooting with the 5DII and decided how I liked it. Fell in love with the amazing image quality and high ISO performance. I shoot a few polo tournaments every year, and being able to crop in and still get a great print was a big plus. But after a year, the 3 fps was killing me (for polo). I upgraded to the 5dIII because of superior image tracking and slightly higher fps. Actually, I never had an issues with subject tracking (using the center focal point and AI Servo) on the 5DII. But with polo, the action is so quick and there are so many "in between" moments that can make or break a shot, I decided I needed more fps.
The 5DII was an excellent camera for me and I would highly recommend it if you can't afford the 5DIII. In my opinion, it can easily handle moving horses, and if you know how to shoot for the correct stride, you don't need extra fps. You will love the full frame sensor for portraits. :) You might try renting it and doing a practice session that will push the limits on it! I have had excellent success buying equipment used on fredmiranda.com, but of course it is buy at your own risk!!
I use my camera for several polo matches each year, and private shoots for horses and seniors. I have helped out a friend with some bar mitzpahs and was very happy with the ISO performance in some extremely low-light situations. Good luck! Always fun (and frustrating!) when we try to pick the new gear that will work best for us! :D
Jessica Annalee Photography
www.jessicaannalee.com
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

I'm impressed! The 5D Mark III must have a quiet shutter button for you to photograph a Bar Mitzvah! Stacy's advice is so sound. Get what you can afford in a camera and invest in good L lenses.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
PamK
EPNet Pro Member

Post by PamK »

Thank you to all for your advice and input. I will start shopping around a little more seriously after the holidays, but wanted to have a pretty good idea about what I was shopping for first. Thanks again so much!!
Pam
Pam Kipper Gabriel
St. Paul, MN

Return to “EPNet Marketplace”