BASICS COURSE IMAGE SHOWCASE

View EPNet member's inspiring equine images, updated regularly.

Moderator: admin

mburling
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Margaret Burlingham

Re: BASICS COURSE IMAGE SHOWCASE

Post by mburling »

I don't know why all my favorite images are turning out to be head shots.

This one was taken through the length of a barn at Arlington Park of a horse getting a bath. I like the expression of the horse and that it tells a story. Also got some bokeh!

1/500, f3.2, ISO 100, 200mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mburling
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Margaret Burlingham

Post by mburling »

This is Cherokee Lord, one of my favorite race horses at Arlington. It is hard to get very far away from the training track and this is the way the photo came out of the camera. Though the shadows are deep, I like how dramatic his dark coat and big blaze look with the purple tack, and the light glinting through his eye. The photo came out very sharp too.

1/1600, f3.2, ISO 400, 200mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SharonKBuchanan
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Buchanan

Post by SharonKBuchanan »

I chose this picture as one of my showcase images because I could have never gotten this shot prior to taking this course. It demonstrates what I have learned. I saw my horse rolling around on the ground scratching his back. I grabbed my camera and headed out the door....changing settings quickly while on the way. By the time I got there I had one shot opportunity remaining because he was getting up. Prior to this class the photo more than likely would have been out of focus and the horse distorted. I even have a small amount of bokeh going on in the background. I look forward to another class with Carien ;) .
Last edited by SharonKBuchanan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D750, Lens: AF-S Nikkor, 70-200mm, f2.8G ED VRII
Renee
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Renee Fukumoto

Post by Renee »

I really enjoyed this course. I learned my way around some essentials with which I'd been unfamiliar and/or unaware. I do feel more confident - one of my biggest goals! - in my ability to achieve quality photography and I hope I'll keep getting better. Never enough hours in the day - or energy in the day for that matter! Thank you Carien, for conducting an excellent course.
This is one of my favourite shots - and it happens to be of my own horse, imagine that! LOL
Head-Shot-july-22-233.jpg
Renee Forth-Fukumoto
Nikon D3, Nikon D300s; 24-70 f/2.8; 70-200 f/2.8
Renee
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Renee Fukumoto

Post by Renee »

This is my second favourite shot - bending some rules a bit but it was an unexpected shot - on the way back to the barn after the shoot, the light was just lovely.
july-22-255.jpg
Renee Forth-Fukumoto
Nikon D3, Nikon D300s; 24-70 f/2.8; 70-200 f/2.8
SharonKBuchanan
EPNet General Member

One of our pasture horses. I like the glow of the evening sun. (This reduced resolution version does not show the glow near like the original shot.)
annjeffree
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Ann Jeffree

Post by annjeffree »

Part of the huge learning curve of this course was being introduced to panning shots. At my first ever visit to a pony club rally I experimented with panning shots of showjumpers. I was pretty happy with the results in this one. Panning is fun!

f/16, ss1/60, ISO200, focal length 116mm.
IMG_2040web.jpg
Ann Jeffree
Canon EOS 550D, 70-200 kit lens.
SharonKBuchanan
EPNet General Member

A conformation photo...not at all easy to do, but a good handler and a horse that knows his halter business is a big help. This class lesson was probably the most difficult of all the lessons.
NLeck
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Natalie Leck

Post by NLeck »

Thank you again, Carien for an amazing course!

This photo is a favorite of mine because it shows me my own improvement in breaking away from "burst" photography and learning to plan out each shot. I had wanted to get a good action shot of these cow horses at work and it took a few times to get one that I was happy with
Last edited by NLeck on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nikon D3200 Sigma 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
NLeck
Registered Guest

Post by NLeck »

This is a photo of my husband's mare, Possum. This is a favorite of mine, because one of the things I was lacking the most with equine photography is conformation shots and I really enjoyed learning how to set them up.
NLeck
Registered Guest

Post by NLeck »

This photo is a favorite of mine, because there are certain tips, tricks and such that I learned along the way that really helped me "think outside the box" and see the light better for each photo I shot.
tillyspromise
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): carrie thomson

Post by tillyspromise »

I really like this one and it was the week that taught me the most regarding standing them up for conformation etc.

F/4, 1/3000, ISO-500, 200mm
I have a 11 yr old Highland Mare and a 6 yr old new forest pony mare to practice my photography on. :)

Canon 60d and canon 50d, canon 70-200 F4 L lens, canon 85mm lens.
The above is my main kit.
Olbard
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Vadim Boytsov

Post by Olbard »

Third, the last one:)
Facebook
Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 f 2.8
andrea_lume
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Andrea Brandt

Post by andrea_lume »

Hi Carien! Thank you so much for this course! It was definitely worth taking :) Sorry for my late upload- we've had a lot going on over the last couple of weeks :(

I chose this one as my favorite image I took during the course. It was very interesting and challenging, trying to get the correct leg position and expression for conformation photos. I love the way Fable's coat is shining, his mane and tail are gorgeous, and he's stretching out his neck.

1/800, f/5, 120mm, ISO 400
Andrea Brandt Chapoton
http://www.lumephotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/lumephoto

Nikon D300s, 70-200mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 lenses
andrea_lume
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Andrea Brandt

Post by andrea_lume »

And here's a headshot. I like his relaxed pose and his expression. Also no distortion, and I got his withers!

1/5000, f/5.6, 200mm, ISO 2000
Andrea Brandt Chapoton
http://www.lumephotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/lumephoto

Nikon D300s, 70-200mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 lenses

Return to “EPNet Image Showcase”