BASICS COURSE IMAGE SHOWCASE

View EPNet member's inspiring equine images, updated regularly.

Moderator: admin

Carien Schippers
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Carien Schippers

BASICS COURSE IMAGE SHOWCASE

Post by Carien Schippers »

Images created during the Basics of Equine Photography Course with Carien Schippers

PLEASE NOTE: The photos posted in the Image Showcases are for viewing purposes only. Copying, downloading or using the photo in any manner without written permission from the photographer is prohibited and a copyright violation. Thank you for respecting our copyrights!
"Doing what you love is freedom,
Loving what you do is happiness"

~ Chinese proverb

Equine Photography by Carien Schippers
• ImagEquine Home
• ImagEquine on Facebook
jenjudkins
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Jennifer Judkins

Re: BASICS COURSE IMAGE SHOWCASE

Post by jenjudkins »

OK, first I would like to say...before this course, the only photos I took were with my iPhone 4s. Don't get me wrong. I love my iPhone for pictures....its in my pocket 100% of the time, making it very effective. So I signed on for Carien's course without even knowing what an f-stop was, and bought a DSLR camera with a zoom. Holy, moly, what a ride this has been. I'm totally addicted!

So I like this photo a.) because this was the first shoot I did with a borrowed lens (Canon EF 70-200mm 1:2.8) and also the first time I went total manual mode. b.) This photo was cropped a tiny bit to remove a mini's nose in a corner, but is otherwise SOOC. and c.) because this is the cutest mule ever.
annamule2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jennifer Judkins
Canon 70D EF 70-200 f/2.8
Olbard
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Vadim Boytsov

Post by Olbard »

When i see on my old (2-3 month ago) photos, i realy want to delete them immediately:) Carien, thank you a lot for this course! So, the first one:
ISO 200, F 2.8, SS 1/800, 200mm., aperture priority.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Facebook
Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 f 2.8
Olbard
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Vadim Boytsov

Post by Olbard »

ISO 200, F 2.8, SS 1/400, 200mm., aperture priority. This pic is one of my favorite now. I like expression, they pose and bokeh here.
Facebook
Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 f 2.8
annjeffree
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Ann Jeffree

Post by annjeffree »

Taken in the rain on a cold winter's afternoon near dusk. While it wasn't taken as part of the course assignments, it was taken during the course. This photo of my mare Tilly is one of my favourites of my more recent images. Although the eye is a bit soft, I love the movement of her forelock around it. ISO 2000, ss1/500, f/5.6, focal length 208mm.
TillyEye13Jul13aweb.jpg
Ann Jeffree
Canon EOS 550D, 70-200 kit lens.
jmnvt
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Jean Cross

Post by jmnvt »

I have learned so much from this course. I know this is not a perfect shot, what with the background and all. Plus you can not see her feet, but at least she is standing correctly and her ears are up and her expression is nice. She came to the fair to do some logging demos, to show that minis can work too. She looks a lot like my mini, but is in better shape.

Jean
JDWat
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Jennifer

Post by JDWat »

Gonna have to claim this as one of my favorite snaps of the class. I really love knowing the technique and settings for making this type of shot happen. A little horse cooperation and it can happen and be so lovely!!!
Goodness this class has been HARD, but man have I seen my skills grow. I know leaps and bounds over what I came into the class knowing, and have met some really cool people who let me photograph their horses who have become friends!!
I am still really struggling with shutter speed, but know with practice I will conquer it.
I also decided that I was trying to run my equine photography business like I thought others might think is the right way to do it. I learned that I need to do what I do best, in the way I do it best and it will speak for itself; to not let perceived expectations of others create limits on my natural instincts!!
So much of being successful for me, is simply trusting my gut!! This course has given me a bit more of the confidence I need to do just that!!!
Thanks so much for that Ms. Carien!!!
jenjudkins
EPNet General Member

Post by jenjudkins »

I love this photo because it is SOOC and the horse is looking at me (or at least looks like he is). Lucky shot!
jumping1.jpg
Jennifer Judkins
jmnvt
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Jean Cross

Post by jmnvt »

I was watching the in hand classes at the draft show hoping to get some conformation shots. This horse came in and gave me more than I bargained for.

Nikon D40, f/5, 1/2500, ISO 400, 130 mm.
jenjudkins
EPNet General Member

Post by jenjudkins »

I posted this photo before. But I love this horse and her expression.
Leila2.jpg
Jennifer Judkins
annjeffree
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Ann Jeffree

Post by annjeffree »

Even muddy and bearded, they don't get much more glamorous than this Friesian mare my friend bred.
VamkePortraitAug13qweb.jpg
f/7, ss1/800, ISO1250, focal length 154mm.
Ann Jeffree
Canon EOS 550D, 70-200 kit lens.
kimayars
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Kim Ayars

Post by kimayars »

I found that head shots were my biggest challenge this course. But I did get a few I liked, including this one of an Andalusian mare.
~~~~~~~~~
Nikon D3100
Sigma f/2.8 70-200mm
masseymab
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): MaryAnn

Post by masseymab »

I was trying to get a silhouette of one of the horses as the sun came up. No luck. It turned out to be a partly cloudy sunrise and when the clouds finally cleared, the horses weren't in the right spot in the pasture to capture the ideal silhouette.
Mary Ann Massey - Pentax K7; 200mm f/2.8; 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6; 50mm f/1.7
masseymab
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): MaryAnn

Post by masseymab »

I liked the warm tones captured by the setting sun. I had to be careful of long, harsh shadows. I liked this one because the gelding is scratching an itch on his pasture mate's shoulder. The flies were horrendous that evening and it was pure luck that I caught this image with no flying tails or shaking heads.
Mary Ann Massey - Pentax K7; 200mm f/2.8; 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6; 50mm f/1.7
mburling
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Margaret Burlingham

Post by mburling »

Thank you Carien for the wonderful course. I learned so much and even enjoyed reading my camera's manual. I hope to take the course again.

This photo was from the beginning of the class taken at the county fair of a horse in a halter class waiting to go into the arena with its handler. I like it because of the black background with the color of the horse, it's sharp, and the horses's blue eye is looking back and it tells a story.

1/3200, f/5.0, ISO 400, 200mm

Return to “EPNet Image Showcase”