IMAGE SHOWCASE for the Basics Course

View EPNet member's inspiring equine images, updated regularly.

Moderator: admin

Carien Schippers
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Carien Schippers

IMAGE SHOWCASE for the Basics Course

Post by Carien Schippers »

Some favorites from the basics course.
"Doing what you love is freedom,
Loving what you do is happiness"

~ Chinese proverb

Equine Photography by Carien Schippers
• ImagEquine Home
• ImagEquine on Facebook
Anakin Sterling
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Caitlyn Dionne

Re: IMAGE SHOWCASE for the Basics Course

Post by Anakin Sterling »

I love this photo with the sharp white with the dark background. I also love the pony's head carriage and the sharpness of the mane.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SharonKBuchanan
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Buchanan

Post by SharonKBuchanan »

Beautiful morning light.....photography is all about the light...plus lots of other technical items Carien has shared with us! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nikon D750, Lens: AF-S Nikkor, 70-200mm, f2.8G ED VRII
Anakin Sterling
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Caitlyn Dionne

Post by Anakin Sterling »

This is one of my favorites shots I took while taking this course. F\14 SS200 FL85 ISO800
Tigerseye
Real Name (first and last name): Debbie Lencioni

Post by Tigerseye »

I really like this photo. I like the expression of the horse and I used what I learned from this course when taking the photo.
sarahsharpless
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Sarah Sharpless

Post by sarahsharpless »

1/500
f8
ISO 640
200mm

ISO 640 was too high (and had to adjust in LR). I had come from the stables (which were dark) and thought I was finished for the day, when I saw this group - and I just turned on the camera and started shooting before anyone moved. I don't think it's a great picture, but I like it because when I saw the riders in a group, the first thing I thought of was Degas and his ballerinas. I just wish the kid in the shorts and boots hadn't been in the picture.

I'm having the same color fade in this forum for this picture as I had in the pictures I posted for Week 5. In LR, I think the colors in this picture look fine (but they don't here).
Sarah Sharpless
jenjudkins
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Jennifer Judkins

Post by jenjudkins »

I really enjoyed this course this year. Thank you, Carien. I am starting to see the image I see with my eye, coming through in my photos. I still have so much to learn about the ingredients, but I, at least feel like I understand my camera better now and my new lens is so much fun!

This photo was taken during our action week and I posted it for critique. I thought the background was too dark in the original, around the horse's heads and thought it could be improved. I took Sharon Sheppard's Photoshop course this winter and like the first time I took your course, I was struggling with the basics. I have done some BG replacements, but its a lot of work and I am not great at it yet. I will have to take her course again next time she offers it. So I had help with this background from Annette Coady. For all you budding equine photographers, Annette does really nice BG replacements for 35.00 a photo. Just email her your photo and tell her what you want. annettecoady@live.com
Week5.1.jpg
Jennifer Judkins
Canon 70D EF 70-200 f/2.8
Alicja
Real Name (first and last name): Alicja Cybulska

Post by Alicja »

Things that I've learned are very precious: what position is correct in action photos, about distortions and fl not lower than 200 in action, bokeh, technical stuff. After the course I am able to just to FEEL which pictures I like, but also which are correct :) Thank you Carien! This portret is so nice because of all above knowledge :)
Canon EOS 700D; Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM
SharonKBuchanan
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Buchanan

Post by SharonKBuchanan »

One of the things I have learned from Carien is to sit back and just watch the action for a shot that tells a story. I love this photo of my grandchildren getting our mule ready for their ride. My grandson has ridden this mule for several years and has moved on to another mule. Now it is my granddaughter turn. I love listening and watching him getting Luther ready for her and instructing her on how to ride him :D .
Nikon D750, Lens: AF-S Nikkor, 70-200mm, f2.8G ED VRII
Kristen Warning
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Kristen Warning

Post by Kristen Warning »

This is one of my favorite head shots I took during the course. Before taking this class I had taken some "lucky" head shots to capture features, but I now have a great appreciation for paying attention to camera settings, placement of the horse, lighting and having other tools with you to be successful at really getting the shot.
Kristen Warning
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Kristen Warning

Post by Kristen Warning »

This is a Rocky Mountain horse that was fun to capture with the camera. For action shots, getting the timing of the legs in a trot and canter, and getting proper placement when the shutter is released is fun and a challenge. I now also know the entire 200mm from the lens is a great thing to use!

Return to “EPNet Image Showcase”