WHOO HOO just bought my first L series lens!

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

lindwood
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Linda Woods

WHOO HOO just bought my first L series lens!

Post by lindwood »

I just clicked "send" to B&H...
I just ordered the Canon F4L 70-200 IS USM lens.
I had a hard time deciding between the 2,8 and the 4, but finally went with the 4 because it is lighter and I won't need a tripod or monopod with it most of the time. I read that this new lens is razor sharp, and fast. I figure that so far I have not had any lighting issues with my 3200 ISO and my 18-200 lens. I'll be gaining an extra stop and a half with fixed F4 capacity. I was always shooting at 5.6 when I opened up my 18-200. Is there anyone else in here who has bought that lens? I know they have a grace period where you can return anything, no questions asked. I am quite sure that I am going to love it, but I would love to know if anyone else has bought this lens and what you think of it.

Also, do any of you use extension tubes with your 70-200 lenses?
Thanks for your help,
Linda
PamK
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Pam Kipper Gabriel

Re: WHOO HOO just bought my first L series lens!

Post by PamK »

I'm jealous...CONGRATS!!! :)
Pam Kipper Gabriel
http://www.pamgabrielphotography.com
St. Paul, MN
mjPowellarts
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Melanie Powell

Post by mjPowellarts »

Congratulations on buying this great lens........I just rented this lens to shoot at Rolex last week and I loved it. The best thing on cross country day was the weight factor. I wouldn't even consider carrying around the 2.8 version. Quick sharp focus, and great color and contrast. Never once wished I had a monopod.
http://www.shybuckstudios.com
lindwood
EPNet General Member

Post by lindwood »

I have to say, I am totally loving this new lens. It's very light and well balanced. No monopod needed. I hand held a photo at 1/20th of a second at night last weekend...it was sharp. Unreal. It's a fabulous portrait lens. My first lens was Canon's EF 18-200. I wondered if I would sell that lens and get something else. No, I'm figuring out that the 70-200 is my outdoor lens, my 18-200 is my indoor and wide angle lens. Until I can buy more L series lenses, that 18-200 is really a pretty good lens, too. I wish they would make an 18-200 in an L series. But then, it would probably weigh an awful lot. I don't think I will be missing the 2.8 vs. the 4.0. Having the fixed 4.0 gives me an extra stop and a half of exposure. Oh, and the bokeh on the f4 is fabulous. I love it. Cheaper, too!!!!
SaundraU
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Saundra Urbacke

Post by SaundraU »

Congrats - its a lovely lens.
DanielleL
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Danielle Lewis

Post by DanielleL »

I also purchased the same lens recently and I do have to say I have been very happy with it! The pictures come out with wonderful clarity!
lindwood
EPNet General Member

Post by lindwood »

I've been having a blast shooting Gypsie Foals (6) with this lens. Here's one of my faves...
F4 late in the day.2
IMG_9203_IveGotMySweetBlueEyeOnYou_512kSigned.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Medic583
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Dennis Boyd

Post by Medic583 »

Congrats Linda :)

I was torn between the sharpness/clarity of the f/4 IS and the faster f/2.8 IS when I bought mine about two years ago... and have no real regrets going the f/4 route. I LOVE how clear/sharp it is and it was my main lens on my XTi and now is on the 40D/50D most of the time. It is used more often than any other lens I have... second comes the ultra-wide Tokina.

Yes... I have to admit that I am now looking at the new f/2.8 IS II as I have found quite a few times where I need that extra stop and have to keep on bumping up the ISO to accomodate the lighting conditions, but I really can't complain about the 50D and pushing it up there with the f/4 version. Still... there are times... that new 2.8 would be soo nice... but most of my shooting has been outdoors during the day so I've been pretty lucky so far. Indoor portraits, indoor sports... they are calling... hmmm.... it's either going to be that or the 24-70mm f/2.8L (hoping an IS version comes out soon).

Actually I also have the 1.4 TC on the 70-200 f/4 IS most times during the day, another beautiful little piece of equipment which I can wholeheartedly recommend. I haven't tried ext. tubes yet though so can't say much on those... but know you'll just love that new lens Linda... it's AMAZING!
lindwood
EPNet General Member

Post by lindwood »

I'm very happy with the f4 lens. The lightness of it, the sharpness...the bokeh, the color. I love it. It's on my camera most of the time, too. I kept my 18-200 EF lens, and like it too. Not quite as good in the optics, but it's such a functional all around lens. I wish they could make an L series in the 18-200. It would probably weigh a ton. I have not missed the 2.8 yet, but I am outside all the time.

I wanted to buy the new Canon 60D for the flip out display window function. So sad that the frames per second is less than the 50D. I'm still trying to decide if I will get it anyway, just to have for liberty shots where i like to get down to a low angle. My knees would sure love it! If anyone in EP net gets it, I wish they would write about it.
LInda
SteveHop

Post by SteveHop »

Congrats on the New lens.!

After the new body purchase the money should go to the best 'glass' you can afford. In the Canon world it's the 'L' series lenses. I'm pretty sure in assuming that everyone here knows that. In the Nikon world, that's me!, you have to look at the higher priced versions of lenses, generally over $800. Then to mid teens, then $2000 and up, up & up from there!

I personally would have gone for the 2.8 since yes it is a 'faster' lens, relating to the constant 2.8 aperture. You would also get more of a blurred 'bokeh' effect at the wider apertures available vs the constant f4.
But...it is heavier and much higher price tag!

As for the swing out monitor...I think it is just something to break too easily. Go for the higher burst rate. Although as your shooting timing skills improve year after year, shooting bursts all the time, or often, reduces in frequency. But still nice to have 5/7 or higher rates for occaisional use. The Hoodman company make an attachment for the viewfinder eyepice to allow low level, comfortable viewing. I'm sure B&H has them among others.

With your 70-200 you will not usually need a monopod, except with a teleextender attached - esp the 1.7 or 2.0. With the 1.4 you can probably get away with using one. Just develop/use good bracing technique, and smoothly squeeze the shutter. I still find myself pressing to hard and getting some motion blur -...some is too much! Trash can!
I'm guess you meant a tleconverter and not a bellows for extended focal length. Not sure you can do that with a longish zoom lens. You would likely need a tripod to start with and some way to support the lens on the end of the bellows...?

Gues I've rambled enough! good shootin' with you new 'glass'!

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”