Indoor Photos

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

bkrusen
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Barbara Krusen

Indoor Photos

Post by bkrusen »

I'm looking for help taking photos of indoor shows. I've tried auto exposure, I've tried manual and have played with the shutter speed and f stop but just can't seem to find a good combination that doesn't cause blur or over exposure. I am working with a Nikon D 40 and am an amature photographer with big asperations! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Re: Indoor Photos

Post by BarbYoung »

Unfortunately in the indoor arenas even the newest, best equipment has trouble. And you need at least a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. You can't shoot horses effectively with less than <100mm of focal length, or you get the distortion where the head (or closest part of the horse to the camera) appears bigger. Whatever lens you are using will determine the speed of your camera to some degree. But unless you're willing to spend thousands on equipment, you will probably always have your present trouble. Sorry.
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

Let me add that in addition to a lens with a large aperture (f/2.8) and sufficient reach, your camera needs to be able to work with a high
ISO (2400-3600 range and possible greater). That aperture size should read f/two.eight, but my eight key is making a smiley face. :D
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
Terri Miller
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Terri Miller

Post by Terri Miller »

But you know ... you can invest thousands in your lenses, and more thousands in your pro level camera with lower noise at high ISO, and when you emerge from the show in the indoor arena, unless it's an "Arena" with a capital "A", complete with broadcast lighting, you'll STILL have....

.... pictures of an ugly indoor arena.

The positive side of shooting in an indoor arena is that you're not standing in the broiling sun or driving rain. But I guess I don't understand this craving, so ... to each his own!
www.terrimiller.com
www.terrimiller.wordpress.com : A blog about art, photography, dressage ... and a terrier named Tinto
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

You're right. And they do not sell so well. No matter how well exposed, the muscling of the horse fades away, there is no shiny coat, and the rider may have a face if he is very close. Sales from my shows' covered arena are a tiny fraction of sales from photos taken outside. BUT I have to shoot it. So, I have spent many thousands of dollars to photograph the best ugly photos I can which do not sell well. Why am I doing this?
Last edited by shapack on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon Packer
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member

Post by BarbYoung »

:wink: I would answer that, Sharon, but this is a public forum. <ducking!> I have one they seem to talk me into year after year in an equally ugly and almost worse covered arena. Ditto not great photos and way less sales.
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

:beer:
Sharon Packer
StephenCrowers
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Stephen Crowers

Post by StephenCrowers »

Given my recent experience with indoors, I'm not saying a word...not a word...

PS - Sharon - it was your eight followed by the ending parenthesis that was your smiley-issue.

8 ) = 8)
Last edited by StephenCrowers on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Ah. Thanks, Stephen. Learn something everyday.
Sharon Packer
bkrusen
Registered Guest

Post by bkrusen »

I agree that indoor shots are ugly but I try and take them anyway. I currently only shoot for the barn where my daughter rides. They run small monthly shows which tend to draw beginner riders. The beginner classes are held indoors forcing me to shoot indoors. I have tried and tried to explain to the barn owner that inside shots stink but she keeps saying ...shoot that, did you get that, take a picture of that. Ugg. We also run out lead line divison inside and these kids are cute to photograph. Fortunately we run the jumper and higher height hunters outside. We also travel to other local shows that I shoot for the kids from out barn that are riding in them. They are almost always outside and the shots come out great. Thanks for the information!
bkrusen
Registered Guest

Post by bkrusen »

Stephen - I see that you are located in Doylestown, PA. I shoot in Bucks County also. I have shot several times at the BCHP also. It's a beautiful place for photos.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Barbara, is there an official photograph for the shows to which you travel? Otherwise, there are techniques which we use to compensate in low light. It sounds as if you are interested in learning. Perhaps a trial membership will allow you access to greater information. Welcome.
Sharon Packer
bkrusen
Registered Guest

Post by bkrusen »

I'm sorry Sharon I'm not following....

"Barbara, is there an official photograph for the shows to which you travel? Otherwise, there are techniques which we use to compensate in low light"
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member

Post by BarbYoung »

Most of us, who are Official Photographers for a specific show, have contracts with show management not allowing other photographers to photograph at that show, because horse shows do not make that much money for the photographer who works hard in all weather 12-14 hours a day at a show. Other folks' photos sold or given to barn members and friends really cuts into the OP's income.

AND this is another topic and there are lots of previous topics on the subject.
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
StephenCrowers
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Stephen Crowers

Post by StephenCrowers »

I believe she is asking whether there is a professional photographer shooting the shows which you are having issues at (specifically one that has been contracted by the show management to photograph the show).

If there is, you might be able to approach them about how they are compensating for the dim light. This is also a good way to meet other photographers in the area and to assure a show's "OP" (Official Photographer) that you are *not* shooting images at the show for profit (with a down economy, some photographers get rather touchy about others photographing shows - especially when they may have an contract with the show management specifying that they shoot exclusively at that show for profit).

You may hear the term "poacher" used in equine photography circles to refer to photographers that shoot shows( where there is an OP) and give away or sell images to the competitors. There are a lot of expenses to shooting an entire show on contract (where you need to get images of every competitor - and only a few of which will likely purchase photos).

If there isn't an OP at the show you mentioned, there are a number of discussions archived in the general and pro members' areas about this (for instance - I specifically asked about this in a really dark indoor very recently). This forum has a wealth of information and a lot of very knowledgeable members in the equine photography niche. In addition, for more general photography, I'd look up your local photography club. I know of three very good ones in our area: Lehigh Valley, Churchville, and Doylestown.

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”