publication suggestion requested

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

lindwood
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Linda Woods

publication suggestion requested

Post by lindwood »

I want to put together a photo essay about the trainer who works with the Gypsy Vanners I photograph. She's amazing. Trained in Perelli. I have wonderful photos of her doing some pretty amazing things with her charges, especially a stallion. Any ideas for a magazine that might want to see a photo essay?
carolcoronios
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Carol Lynn Coronios

Re: publication suggestion requested

Post by carolcoronios »

Linda,
An assumption: that you would like to SELL this photo essay?

If so, there are some good threads on here (fairly recent, if I recall) about selling to media. Do a search for those.

In any case, I'd start with area publications. Perhaps even a regular newspaper, if it has a local interest section.

I'm not the most experienced in this, so definitely search on the topic.

Good luck! And I'd love to see some of your work for this!

Carol
Carol Lynn Coronios
As You Like It Equine Photography
fine art, portraits, competitions
. As You Like It Equine Photography Home
. As You Like It on Facebook
. As You Like It EPN portfolio
lindwood
EPNet General Member

Post by lindwood »

Thank you so much, Carol. I will look for those threads. Hope I find them. I am planning to market it locally, but was also interested in other equine journals that are widely read. Thanks so much! I will let you know if I find a place for it. I actually have the photos for it, just need to write it. But I was waiting until I found some good places to submit it before writing it.
Linda
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

Linda, many publications are now charging to run stories. Any chance this trainer would buy your story, the photos and look for publication sources?
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
lindwood
EPNet General Member

Post by lindwood »

Sharon,
Not sure, I'll see what happens and keep that in mind. I can see how it could appear as advertising. But maybe not in an equine journal. It might be something I could sell more locally, like a human interest story.
Linda
lindwood
EPNet General Member

Post by lindwood »

And, I said "sell more easily locally." I would not care if the publication paid me anything, actually. I would just like to write it as a human interest story with a lot of visual appeal.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

Go with local, then. I tried my best to get the story of North Forks Cardi and his trainer's trip to Devon 09 run as a human interest story in one of the dressage magazines or web news sites. Money....it was about being paid to run it though the story was about an entire town doing fundraisers to earn the money to bring that incredible Cob stallion and his trainer to compete on FEI level. It's tough these days. But don't give up!
Last edited by shapack on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
lindwood
EPNet General Member

Post by lindwood »

Thank you, Sharon. I'll let you know if I find a place for it.
Linda
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

Linda, this is the Open Forum. You would probably be better off asking your question in the General Members' area of the forum. (Board Index > scroll down to General Members)
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
redroanstudios
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Mackenzie Kincaid

Post by redroanstudios »

Linda, we unfortunately do not pay for either stories or photos, but if what you're interested in is a little exposure for you and your friend and getting your work into print, you could always submit to SAVVY TIMES, the Parelli Natural Horsemanship membership magazine. I'm the editor (it's part of my day job :)) and I'd be delighted to get more photo submissions... usually we get stories submitted and acquiring print-quality photos to go along with them is like pulling teeth. :D The best I can offer you is byline and photo credit, but if you're interested, feel free to email me at savvytimes@parelli.com and I'd be happy to have a look.

Mackenzie
Mackenzie Kincaid
RED ROAN STUDIOS
fine art | photography | graphic design
lindwood
EPNet General Member

Post by lindwood »

MacKenzie,
Funny thing...I'm about to join the savvy club for my new gypsy sport filly! I WILL submit some photos to you, as the trainers at the Gypsy ranch where I work all work with Parelli. I'm sold on it after watching them calm down my semi-wild little girl in 2 days. Can't wait til they say she is mellowed out enough for me to start. I have so many eye candy photos of the trainers working with the stallions, I will send you some photos. Thanks for the suggestion!

I had some luck with a local magazine that publishes in 4 counties. It's a free magazine, available in restaurants, newstands, and stores in a four county wide area. VERY nice ads pay for it. It's a tall, narrow, heavy slick paper publication with beautiful printing. Tons of nice ads, but they run about 8 stories in each issue. The issue that they have accepted my photo essay for is themed "Your inner child." The articles are always about women. It will come out sometime in 2011. I'll let you know when it happens. They are sending someone to interview me and the trainer! I'm very excited. I'm praying that I might get some more farm and ranch calls as a result of it, but mostly it will just be so much fun to see these beautiful horses and the trainer in print with my photos! And, they are NOT charging me, so yea!

Linda

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”