Equine Photography workshops

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

LinFin
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Linda Finstad

Equine Photography workshops

Post by LinFin »

I am curious - what was the best thing you ever learned on an equine photography workshop - and was it a hands on outdoor course or web based ?
leslieheemsbergen
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Leslie Heemsbergen

Re: Equine Photography workshops

Post by leslieheemsbergen »

Hi Linda,

I believe Susan Sexton's critiques of my work had the most impact. She always said that one has the tendency to "fall in love" with your own work and lose objectivity. That is the best advice I ever received. Of course I still do it….

So my advice is to have your students bring work for critique or choose an image from the clinic for critique and involve the whole class in picking 1 thing they like about each image and 1 thing they don’t like.
Best,
Leslie
LinFin
Registered Guest

Post by LinFin »

Thanks Lesley
for your imput - very true, I am surprised when clients pick out pictures from their photo shoots for enlargements, very often they dont pick my personal favorites, I guess we all see things differently.
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

We all see with varying degrees of experience and education as well. Most pro photographers I know continue their education regularly, and many engage mentors or portfolio critiques on a regular basis. My photographic career growth involves all of these. Therefore, my view of a photo will be much different than an amateurs. While peer involvement is great, your students aren't going to be able to critique each others' photos with any sort of knowledge and experience, so they'll choose what they like, and that will be very different from what you like. I think if I were teaching, I would include a formal photo review of, say, 5 photos by the teacher or a guest speaker (pro), if the students are to learn anything. jmho. And then maybe have a "Student's Choice" award with a little prize or something like that. I just don't think students are going to learn much by critiquing each other.

Susan Sexton was my mentor for several years before her death, and she still talks in my head. I met her originally at an EPNet workshop, teaching sport horse conformation and movement. If I were teaching workshops, I would think I'd want to go to at least one a year, given by someone else. Left to our own devices, most of us get stale and complacent.

More than you asked, sorry! I just enrolled in a new mentor program, and am pretty excited about it. And inspite of everything, it is exceptionally difficult to get my emotions out of my photography!!

Hope you're planning on entering the Equine Ideal contest coming up, Linda. www.equinephotocontest.com
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
LinFin
Registered Guest

Post by LinFin »

Hi Barb

Thank you for your input - I really appreciate it - I agree with you about the class trying critique each others pictures - but I love the idea of passing out some of mine ( a mixture of good bad and ugly) and letting them figure out what was good and what could have been done to improve the shot. In an open discussion.

I offered 4 workshops last year and they were a great success most were full (20 participants is a full class) and I have 5 more dates booked for this summer with 3 more pending. So it looks like its going to be a busy season. Plus my horse show calander is almost full - I just wish our summer was longer - I live in Alberta Canada and we have 6 months of winter - so a very short outdoor season. Maybe I will have to put my "Show on the road" and travel to warmer climes in the winter - after all not everywhere is as brutally cold as Alberta in the winter.
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member

Post by BarbYoung »

I didn't think anything was as cold as Alberta! That's a good take on my post, Linda, because I was thinking You would critique a selection of each student's chosen photos, but the addition of adding some of your own is a good one. Unfortunately you can never be sure how thick someone's skin is, but you can point out that IF they offer a selection of their photos for your critique, you are going to be honest.

And I know you know by now that you'd get tons of more, maybe better, answers, if you joined EPNet and had access to all the forums, Critique Corner, etc.

Stay warm!
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Judy Bosco

Post by jequiphoto »

what was the best thing you ever learned on an equine photography workshop
Hands down, Spring of 2005, Warrenton, Va. meeting Betty Copper and learning how to shoot portraits (horses with their people). I really stunk at it and hated doing it because of this. I was still shooting film (I think there was only one other person there that was also shooting film) but the stuff I came away with was priceless.
I also learned you can (gasp!!) shoot in the rain!! Who would have thought. It was a turning point for me and my photography.
LinFin
Registered Guest

Post by LinFin »

What tips did she give you for shooting in the rain?
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member

Post by BarbYoung »

Linda, this is the Open, public forum. People aren't going to give you many tips here. Lots of those in the member's forums.
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Judy Bosco

Post by jequiphoto »

What tips did she give you for shooting in the rain?
Primary, staying dry!! LOL, Kidding!!!
You should have a fast lens and waterproof covering for your equipment. It did not pour down rain but we got wet. Monopod is a must.

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”