Stock Photo Site Question

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

Vivian
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Vivian

Stock Photo Site Question

Post by Vivian »

Ok, I know a number of people on here offer stock photography in addition to your normal services. My question is about stock sites. I don't want to go through a stock sites like Getty and Corbal since they don't really seem to pay well (and I know the stock market is very hard to break into), but what do most people prefer to do to sell their stock images? I have seen a few of the pros on photo shelter. I like photoshelter because you seem to have control over pricing and who you license to. I also know some of you have also created your own stock sites as well.

For those of you that go through a sites like photoshelter, how have you liked it? Has paying a monthly fee on top of the commission you pay been worth it? Do you find that plenty of people are finding and licensing your images from that site? Do you have suggestion on sites besides photoshelter that can be used?

For people that created their own site, do you have any suggestions on templates or website software to use?

Thanks in advance for your time and answers. :)
leslieheemsbergen
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Leslie Heemsbergen

Re: Stock Photo Site Question

Post by leslieheemsbergen »

Vivian,
I really like Photoshelter although mainly as a archive backup. I have a rare stock licensing inquiry from Photoshelter although I do not market it aggressively. It is also very helpful for location photography sales. I still do an occasional wedding, and the sales through Photoshelter certainly pay for the cost of the site. I do pay by the year and get a discount. Photoshelter has a wealth of education for members. I don't license much stock, particularly over the last 3 years of this abysmal market. The licenses I have are through the image requests here at EPN and through my stock agent, Sharon Fibelkorn.

Hope this helps,
Leslie
Vivian
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Vivian

Post by Vivian »

Thank you Leslie for commenting. Photoshelter actually seemed really organized about it, but I wanted others opinion who have done this before. I didn't want to jump in and find out there are better sites for this or that there's some software/template that makes it easier that I cuold just add onto my own domain/site.

I never thought of getting an agent before. How did you find your agent? That is probably something else I should consider. Thanks again Leslie. :)
leslieheemsbergen
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Leslie Heemsbergen

Post by leslieheemsbergen »

Vivian,
I met her here on the pro board (many years ago :) )
Good luck!
Leslie

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”