Equine photos needed

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

Juliet
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Juliet Harrison

Re: Equine photos needed

Post by Juliet »

I understand all of the issues. If you know my work...you know that I am a fine art photographer and would never give my primary images away for nothing. The images that I post on the blog are throw aways. They are not first quality and I am clear that they would not be acceptable as my work. I spend a great deal of time with equine painters and know what they use for reference photos. And they often don't have access to taking their own reference photos for every idea that they want to paint. We of the former Equine Art Guild had a show once of artwork that was done from the same reference photos and it was fascinating to see the variety of takes that the painters did from the same image. I do not feel that it in any way devalues my work overall or anyone elses to have this blog out there. Not every image we shoot is a winner. And if some of those outtakes could be inspiration for an artist, I am happy to share them. As many of you know...I had a primary image of mine "stolen" through the internet and was pretty strong in my defense of that image.

It is a personal choice. I do not think that the artist should assume that a reference photo will be free for the taking or should expect that it will be free if they ask. And I do not feel that the commercial photographers should make their primary images available to painters for their use. This is just something that I have done. I don't think that the images I have put there are that good. But they are useful to the painters that have taken advantage of the blog. It is even better for beginners who just need images to practice from. Like someone else said.....they can just go to the license free image search in google as well. There are lots of horse photos there that some photographer or another has taken and is ok with giving away.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

I mentioned using Google or Firefox to search for royalty free photos to use as inspiration for artists. There's even a photo icon to assist in the search. The following is a timely news item related to the use of copyrighted photos for artistic interpretation.

http://waxy.org/2011/06/kind_of_screwed/
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
carolcoronios
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Carol Lynn Coronios

Post by carolcoronios »

Very interesting article, Sharon. Thanks for sharing.

C
Carol Lynn Coronios
As You Like It Equine Photography
fine art, portraits, competitions
. As You Like It Equine Photography Home
. As You Like It on Facebook
. As You Like It EPN portfolio
artworksbyshannon
Real Name (first and last name): Shannon Fleury

Post by artworksbyshannon »

shapack wrote:Shannon, here is a possible example of copyright infringement. This photo belongs to Violetta. I just downloaded it from your Facebook Fan site where you stated you were working on the painting and thanked someone with different initials than Violetta for use of the photo. Maybe that person has a usage rights agreement. I hope for your sake you know. There are other professional photos on your Facebook site without credit given to the photographers. Unless you have a usage rights agreement from each of those professional photographers, you are committing copyright infringement. You are a very talented painter, and I hope you do not want to begin your career by violating the law.
I have proof that I have paid for the usage of that photo. Would you like to see it? I hope YOU did not download and store that photo on your computer .. that would be infringing on her rights. Please .. email Violetta and ask her if I paid :)
You people seem to misunderstand. I am on this website ASKING .. I did not simply take your photos. If I did THAT would be a problem. Now I am sorry that I foolishly posted here. Its obvious I have struck a nerve with those of you who do not want to share your work... thats fine by me.. I won't ask here again.. sorry if I have upset anyone.

As for anyone who wants to accuse me of taking someones image .. doesn't make any sense for me to be here asking if thats the way I work.
artworksbyshannon
Real Name (first and last name): Shannon Fleury

Post by artworksbyshannon »

I also mentioned PAYING a fee .. I do not have millions .. nor do I charge millions for my artwork. A lot of my work is given to reputable rescues etc to auction to help fund their mission. I do believe some people should actually read and understand the words before posting a reply... or perhaps try not to be so defensive of your profession TO AN ARTIST WHO ASKS. Its clear that I understand photographers work is theirs .. they deserve to be paid for their talents and time. I have said that from the beginning.. it IS an art, the same as mine.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

Thank you, Shannon. Not to worry, I am well aware of copyright law and deleted Violette's photo after posting here. Yes, sadly, you did hit a nerve in that we have all experience so much theft of images. I did not say you are stealing images, nor did anyone else. Perhaps you would like to re-read this thread because I think you missed the intentions here. I indicated there may be people willing to share images and informed you how to find royalty free images. I also used the word "possible" copyright infringement because I realized you may have Violette's permission. No one said that you were intending to exploit our work. But it happens all the time. Just two days ago, I received an email link to an artist's website showing me what she had done with my photos. She INFORMED me that she needed larger digital files of particular photos because the small images on my website did not give her enough to work with. You are the nice guy among a sea of thieves. :flag:
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”