Equine photos needed

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

artworksbyshannon
Real Name (first and last name): Shannon Fleury

Equine photos needed

Post by artworksbyshannon »

Hi,

I am new to the forum, and wanted to say Hi! I am not a photographer, but I am an artist... I am looking for images (mostly Equine related, but some wildlife and farm related as well) that I can use in my artwork. I am happy to include the name and any links wanted along with posts of my artwork on my Facebook page, and Website as well. Also, I will print on the back of my artwork (if wanted) the name of the 'reference material photographer' .

I am prepared to pay a small fee if needed, but would rather send the photographer a copy of the finished artwork.

If you happen to have any photos I may be able to use.. please let me know via email - artworksbyshannon@msn.com

My Facebook page is - https://www.facebook.com/ArtworksByShannon

My website is - artworkbyshannon.com OR artworksbyshannon.com :) Thanks so very much, and I hope to make some new contacts!

Shannon Fleury
bayberry
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Julie Ward

Re: Equine photos needed

Post by bayberry »

*sigh*
If I had a nickle for every request for my work for free I could retire (and I'm sure most photographers get the same offers all the time). I'm not sure how having one of my images in a different medium or having a photo credit pays my bills though.
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

If I had a nickle for every request for my work for free I could retire (and I'm sure most photographers get the same offers all the time). I'm not sure how having one of my images in a different medium or having a photo credit pays my bills though.
I doesn't! "Photo credit" doesn't pay the bills, and those who ask for use for "photo credit" aren't known well enough for anyone but very few to ever see the photo credit. As hard as most of us work, when people ask for free (or just take without permission), I feel very disrespected and misused. I work every bit as hard (probably harder) than the person who wants something for nothing.
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
StephenCrowers
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Stephen Crowers

Post by StephenCrowers »

To be fair, she did mention a small fee or bartering a print of the finished work - not free use. It might not be what you feel it's equivalent value, but it's something...

If Teri Miller asked me for use of one of my photos in exchange for a copy of a painting based on it - I'd probably jump at that chance - because I love her work and I know what it's worth (a lot more than most of my images)... horses for courses, you know?
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

Terri Miller paints from her own photographic works as does Patricia Powers. Shannon, my suggestion is that you take your own photos for use in your work. Perhaps some photographers who are just starting out will be willing to allow usage rights to their photos for a small fee or bartering. For some of my photos, I've paid as much as $ 4,000 to get to the location where I have taken them. Not to mention the cost of the equipment and my time in editing. There is no way, I would allow them to be used for a small fee or seeing MY work through someone's else's eyes. What you are asking is truly no different than if I asked to reproduce one of your creative paintings and gave you a small fee. Pro photographs are our works of art.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
StephenCrowers
Registered Guest

Post by StephenCrowers »

Terri Miller paints from her own photographic works
Agreed - and I had included that in my original version of my post, but removed it before I hit the submit button (obviously I should have left it).

I guess I was just trying to point out that a one-size-fits-all rule isn't necessarily appropriate. It all depends on the commercial value of your image and your own personal feelings... And re-interpreting other artist's works is kind of SOP, isn't it (Richard Prince, notwithstanding)?
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

I think I said that some beginning photographers may be interested, especially if they do not have a lot of money tied up in the shoot. I applaud Shannon for asking! I have had some of my photos painted, sold, and then the artist confide in me afterwards as if I should be honored. In that situation, it was theft, and I was not honored. Yes, some photographers may be perfectly willing, so let them speak for themselves.
Sharon Packer
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Forgot to mention, that all one has to do is Google "royalty free" horse photos to come up with an abundance.
Sharon Packer
StephenCrowers
Registered Guest

Post by StephenCrowers »

Sharon, I apologize. :oops:

I think I've got as much of a knee-jerk reaction as I was pointing out earlier in the thread. I read your comment on new "photographers being willing to allow usage "and internally added "foolishly" into it. It's the damn "NEWB" stamp on my forehead that does it... ;)
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Not to worry, Steve. :wave:
Sharon Packer
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Shannon, here is a possible example of copyright infringement. This photo belongs to Violetta. I just downloaded it from your Facebook Fan site where you stated you were working on the painting and thanked someone with different initials than Violetta for use of the photo. Maybe that person has a usage rights agreement. I hope for your sake you know. There are other professional photos on your Facebook site without credit given to the photographers. Unless you have a usage rights agreement from each of those professional photographers, you are committing copyright infringement. You are a very talented painter, and I hope you do not want to begin your career by violating the law.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shapack on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon Packer
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

btw the U.S. Copyright law provides for $250,000 fine for copyright violations.
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
Juliet
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Juliet Harrison

Post by Juliet »

Ok...you are all going to hate me for this....but I have a whole blog devoted to images that are free for use in paintings. I did this because for quite a long time, I have been totally connected to the equine fine art world. The images that I have posted are ones that I would never market as my work, but could provide interesting inspiration for a painter. And I have no problem with them being used that way. I frequently shot in color as a practice for me, but did not previously market color images. I generally ask that a jpeg of the finished piece be sent to me so that I can post it with the photo on the blog for others to see how photographing can be reinterpreted in painting by different artists.

Shannon - The blog in question is here... http://equinepainterschallenge.blogspot.com/ . I do ask for photo credit where possible.

Juliet
Juliet
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Juliet Harrison

Post by Juliet »

I should add that I wholly support the defense of copyright and the payment to photographers for use rights of their photographs.
Libby
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Libby Rosen

Post by Libby »

Juliet, I don't think the issue is someone giving away a license to use their work. You are basically making your work part of the public domain by signing away your rights. You are saying 'you' want no value for your work. Its your work so its your right. The issue is trying to use someone else's work without licence.

The painter is not painting to give her paintings away for free. She thinks her painting have a value but wants original photograph for nothing. That is telling the other artist their work has no value but hers does. That is the insult. Her paintings are derivatives of the original copyright work. If she doesn't have a licence from the photographer to produce a derivative of the work, she has no right to touch it.

The same issue arises when magazines ask to use your photo for free. "you'll get advertising" I've yet to see on that was willing to give their magazine including advertising away for free. Again they are saying their work has value but yours doesn't.

Would you ever ask a plumber to fix your sink for free?
Libby Rosen
D4 70-200, Fuji X-Pro 2 50-200
Sunbury, Ohio
http://mistyrosefarm.homestead.com

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”