CNN fires photogs because ammies will work for free...

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

Carien Schippers
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Carien Schippers

CNN fires photogs because ammies will work for free...

Post by Carien Schippers »

"Doing what you love is freedom,
Loving what you do is happiness"

~ Chinese proverb

Equine Photography by Carien Schippers
• ImagEquine Home
• ImagEquine on Facebook
pkm
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Priscilla Miller

Re: CNN fires photogs because ammies will work for free...

Post by pkm »

Between this and the Harlan Ellison YouTube posthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g ... ture=share, one has to wonder if there is a future for any of us in this industry. Awhile ago, I had someone come back to me after submitting a quote saying, "well no one else charges that much...... it takes you 30 sec per photo so X should be ok for the time it took you" :angry: :angry: :angry: "Hey mister store keeper, I will offer you 2 cents for that pack of gum, because it only took you a nano second to put it on the shelf!" ......yeah, right......

This is a very tough mind set to change, and we all get people who try to get something for nothing, because they are so used to so many people giving their work away for a photo credit. Donating images to charity is fine and a personal decision; but doing regular work is still work and there must be an equitable wage to go along with it, or else what's the point??? It's a business right????

It's very dispiriting.......

So rather than having a thread that is just a rant about our frustrations, let's also try and put forth some new ideas on ways to keep our jobs, and create new markets and product offerings.

I'll start:
I'd like to offer albums for iPad users. Is anyone out there doing this? Have you found templates or software that will make this happen? I think I can up sell more low res files in an album format than as individual files or packs of five. And I guess there is possible integration with the iCloud so your clients could have their albums updated on the go. What do you think?
What other ideas are percolating just below the surface???
Priscilla K. Miller
pkmillerphotography@gmail.com
http://pkmillerphotography.zenfolio.com/
http://www.priscillakmiller.com
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

I kept one show series, but I am seriously rethinking that. If it were closer to my residence... if I had a partner..all of the "if onlys" are going through my head. Truly, IF I had a partner, I would have someone sitting in a tent with massive displays of work. I would gladly sit and sell while that person shot rides as well. That person would use my credit card terminal for selling the work hanging in the tent AND for taking paid sign ups for show participants who want photos. People buy on impulse not so much from cruising the internet. I'm no longer willing to stand for a day, sort, edit for a week and make galleries for free. Sure, some people buy a couple of 4 x 6 prints or the occasional 8 x 10, but that does not cover overhead. The moment of decision came from the last show I worked. I had a gallery full of good shots of a women who signed up.

I received an email from her with praises of how much she loved the photos. She wanted to buy a photo to advertise her business. Three years ago I sold a 5 x 7 @ 300 ppi with 6 month usage rights for $ 100 with no problem. I had to stop that last year because no one would pay to renew the usage rights contract yet they kept using the image. So now I sell business usage rights without a renewal. Her comment? "Why would I pay $ 100 when I can get someone to photograph me for nothing?" She's right. I photographed two rides for her for nothing. I pointed that out in a kind manner, but she wanted the digital file for the same amount as a 4 x 6 print. That's it. I can't photograph anyone without at least a sign up fee. I will, however, photograph the high performance riders for media and the potential of commercial advertising sales. I made more income from tent sales at art fairs. But that market may have changed as well. I believe that face-to-face contact and people buying what is emotionally appealing may be a better way to go for me. I'm getting ready to submit work for possible acceptance into an artist guild for their yearly review in January.

Priscilla, I had the same idea about galleries for Smart Phones. I tossed that idea out in a Constant Contact blast to over 1000 email addresses of riders and horse fans. I did not get a single response.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
Carien Schippers
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Carien Schippers

Post by Carien Schippers »

One thing I keep coming back to is how something like 90% of all the images being created these days are by Iphone type devices. Nikon and Canon need to get with the program and add the ability to post images online instantly (there's an ap for that...) of course this does not address the issue that all this imagery is free content for the media outlets, so what's the point, really, there's no money to be made there... the world sure is changing so quickly as to how we get our news with the demise of newspapers, many magazines shrinking or folding completely and much of our news coming through twitter and youtube and personal blogs.
"Doing what you love is freedom,
Loving what you do is happiness"

~ Chinese proverb

Equine Photography by Carien Schippers
• ImagEquine Home
• ImagEquine on Facebook
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

As well, news is filter on cable or paid TV based on the political ideology of that particular news station. I feel as if I have to watch 6 different sources to ascertain the actual event before I can put my personal bias onto it. Have you seen the legislation aimed to stop internet copyright theft? Of course this does not address all of those willing to work for free, but it may make a dent into theft. The house version surely needs a lot of work, and the owners of search engine are lobbyists fighting it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act
Sharon Packer
natdouglas
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Natasha Douglas

Post by natdouglas »

"Why would I pay $ 100 when I can get someone to photograph me for nothing?"
I done a barn session for some really good customers back in October. One gentleman, who was pretty tight on his wallet anyway, wanted his horse photographed that day. He had won a gift certificate for a 16 x 20 in a silent auction that I had donated back in the summer. He kept telling the trainer's girlfriend, who was coordinating the shoot for that day, that he had a certificate. She kindly explained to him that it was for show photos only and if he would like photos made at the barn, then the fee was $100 per horse. His reply? "I'm not paying $100 for someone to take photos of my horse". She said thats ok. We will leave him off the schedule for that day. :wave:
Nat
[url]http://www.natdouglas.com[/url]
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/imagesthatspeak
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

Before we share too many great ideas on this thread, let's remember this is the OPEN forum, open to non-members as well, and not the more private General or Pro Members' forums.
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
pkm
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Priscilla Miller

Post by pkm »

Good Point Barb. Perhaps Carien can move this to General members Discussion. @Sharon - thanks for that bit of info regarding your email blast and smart phones & galleries, I am surprised that no one jumped on it. There goes that idea....
One thing I keep coming back to is how something like 90% of all the images being created these days are by Iphone type devices. Nikon and Canon need to get with the program and add the ability to post images online instantly (there's an ap for that...) of course this does not address the issue that all this imagery is free content for the media outlets, so what's the point, really, there's no money to be made there... the world sure is changing so quickly as to how we get our news with the demise of newspapers, many magazines shrinking or folding completely and much of our news coming through twitter and youtube and personal blogs.

We are such an instant gratification society, which has spoiled so many things if you think about it.......when will the backlash occur...or will it ever? I have other ideas but will wait until thread is moved.....
Priscilla K. Miller
pkmillerphotography@gmail.com
http://pkmillerphotography.zenfolio.com/
http://www.priscillakmiller.com
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

I believe it comes down to why should anyone buy photos for Smart Phones, I-Pads, websites, etc. when it is so easy to steal them and get away with it. I am disgusted! I just came across a "respectable" dressage forum which was filled with my photos. Most who posted my photos gave me photo credit. But as we have all said, photo credit does not buy the gasoline it takes to drive to the sites I photograph. Would the same people steal items from a retail store? Probably not.

Thank you, Barb. I am guilty. I never look to see if this is an in-house thread or public. On the other hand, maybe it is good for the public to have some understanding that selling images is how we pay the bills.
Sharon Packer

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”