Photo image identification

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

Rick Denchfield
Real Name (first and last name): Fredrick L Denchfield

Photo image identification

Post by Rick Denchfield »

I am just starting to get my business going. I am currently freelancing local shores shows. I get several hundred images from a show and IDing them for sale is an issue. I am looking for something that can grab the filename and put it right on the photo image for display. Does anyone know of a tool that can do this!!
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Re: Photo image identification

Post by shapack »

Tell us more about what you need. There are software programs in which you can sort and organize your photos. Your photos can be renamed within those programs. If you are talking about in-camera renaming, most cameras offer custom settings to organize by the initials of the event+date. Some cameras allow for creating a file folder for each rider. If you happen to shoot candids, though, it defeats the purpose. There are extremely sophisticated software programs that can sort by rider number and display photos on monitors for riders within minutes of the CF card being uploaded, but those are quite expensive.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
Rick Denchfield

Sharon,

I do not have a web site yet so I am using Facebook. I have the photos on my computer. When I upload them to Facebook I may have a few hundred photos and when anyone wants one it is difficult to be sure as to the specific photo they are asking for. I am looking for something that will go through a directory folder image by image grab the file name then edit it on to the image. This will give them and me a way to talk about the same photo.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

I know of no way to use Facebook as a sales gallery. It is designed for sharing and viewing. Facebook assigns a random number to each photo that is imported onto it. As well, are you aware that FB claims ownership of every photo you place there? There are sales websites which will preserve your photo file name and allow you to make direct sales for under $ 20 per month. Wouldn't that be a far safer way of displaying and selling your work?
Sharon Packer
Rick Denchfield

If you could tell me some of the sites that store and alow direct sales I would be interested in them. thank you.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Because I do not know your circumstances, I would be remiss if I did not ask these questions first.

1. Do you need a business license to engage legally in photo sales in the City, County, and/or state in which you are working?
2. Have you determined if you will be working as a sole proprietorship, LLC, etc.?
3. What do you need to charge per sales to over your business expenses?
4. Since you are working with people and horses, do you have business liability insurance? Is it sufficient?
5. Do you need model releases to post your photos of people on the internet? Do you have all of your business forms in place and ready to
protect you from a possible law suit?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, there is much work to do before setting up a website.
Sharon Packer
Rick Denchfield

1. Do you need a business license to engage legally in photo sales in the City, County, and/or state in which you are working?
A. I am in Michigan all around Oakland County. I do not have a home base studio that I work from. I do not believe I need a license from what I could find to shoot candid’s with the permission of the organization/group.

2. Have you determined if you will be working as a sole proprietorship, LLC, etc.?
A. Currently I am working as a DBA.

3. What do you need to charge per sales to over your business expenses?
A. My expenses are minimal, basically gas only.

4. Since you are working with people and horses, do you have business liability insurance? Is it sufficient?
A. No, I do not carry any insurance as of yet.

5. Do you need model releases to post your photos of people on the internet? Do you have all of your business forms in place and ready to
protect you from a possible law suit?
A. Again I do not believe I need individual releases as I am working with the permission of the organization/group at open to public events and I am not selling as open stock or such, only to the event participants.
Carien Schippers
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Carien Schippers

Post by Carien Schippers »

Try www.breezesys.com to create galleries, etc. only for PC, not Mac.
smug mug, exposure manager and zenfolio all have the ability to create galleries and market images.
"Doing what you love is freedom,
Loving what you do is happiness"

~ Chinese proverb

Equine Photography by Carien Schippers
• ImagEquine Home
• ImagEquine on Facebook
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Then ditto what Carien said. Adobe Bridge, Expressions Media, and Lightroom work well with Mac. ACDC is another that works well for PCs but not Mac. Liability Insurance is a really good idea.
Sharon Packer
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Fredrick, there are comparisons of website hosts in the archives here on EPNet. I remember a very long thread comparing Smugmug and Exposure Manager. I apologize if I overwhelmed you with questions. My questions were presented in an attempt to protect you. I learned the hard way about starting to sell photo products without first securing a business license from a particular township. And I learned to make sure the event organizers had signed releases from parents before I posted photos of minor online. No one makes the photography business an easy one. I wish you well with your sales.
Last edited by shapack on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon Packer
Rick Denchfield

Sharon,
I do not mind the questions. I have had another business (real estate) before but the economy killed it along with everything else I had. I am not the type to get upset with someone that is trying to help. I am not all in to myself so much that I think I know everything I need to know (I know I don't). I try to learn something from everyone I talk to and meet. I can't say that that I do everything right (I hope at least most) in my approach to the photography business I have started. But with help and assistance from members like you and Carien I hope to continue to get better. I am also reading a few books but they are very general to some very specific situations and questions most of the time. As I begin to make some income (soon I hope) I look to improve of efforts and presentation. Do you use a lawyer and is there a way to lookup a photography lawyer up. I do to believe I can afford one yet but I try to keep ahead of myself.

I will look at all of the ideas that you and Carien have mentioned. I already have Adobe Bridge, Lightroom, and Photoshop and get into them to learn how to use them every chance I get. I am a PCer.

I look forward to learning more from everyone in the future.

Thank you again Sharon.

Fredrick (Rick) Denchfield
FLD.Potography@hotmail.com
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Rick, there are many helpful books. I found the ones related to legal especially helpful:

http://www.equinephotographers.org/bookstore.php

Either in Bridge or Lightroom, do a "select all" (Control + A) and batch rename your photos. I find it helpful to identify by date and event + my initials + sequential numbers. For example, a photo from Wellington Classic Dressage Spring Challange 2011, could be called 2011WCDSC-SP-9980. That gives me all info I need to find a photo. As well, you are able to embed your metadata information using Bridge or Lightroom. Sadly, Facebook strips your metadata as well as your photo ID. Most of the website hosts such as Smugmug and Exposure Manager provide free trials. I believe all allow you to start out at a very reasonable rate and grow as your business grows.
Sharon Packer
Rick Denchfield

Sharon,

Thank you for the book website. As for storing photos I need to incorporate my work totally into Light room. Right now I do a similar type of naming but through directory/folder naming. But this does not allow for searches from all photos.

Thank you.

Fredrick (Rick) Denchfield
FLD.Potography@hotmail.com
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Hum. I store my photos on external hard drives. Here is where we need a PC person. With my Mac, I put the photo ID into search and my computer finds it. Are you storing photos in folders and labeling the folders?
Sharon Packer
Rick Denchfield

Yes I am. I name the folders with the YYYY-MM-DD then an event name or abbreviation. I leave the Camera file on the image. I keep my photos on my main PC but back them up to an external drive.

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”