Laptop question

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

rillcreek
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Donna Dean

Laptop question

Post by rillcreek »

Okay, I'm in the market for a new laptop. I am using a duo processor right now and it's driving me crazy. I always have my Photoshop open, at least two folders of photos, my website design page, and the internet on top of that (tho' lately it's gotten so slow I only go online occasionally while doing my website work. Right now I'm looking at the HP Envy 17. I'm not rich enough for a Mac (I'm looking at a new lens too!) I'm about to empty my bank account and want to make sure I make the right decision...any handy hints anyone? I love to hear other's experiences. I want good graphics and speed...I'm used to a matte finish screen, not sure how I'd like the HP Envy's glossy screen.
Thanks, Donna
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Re: Laptop question

Post by shapack »

Hi Donna. I know nothing about PCs anymore. Susan Carter may be able to help you. The price of Macbook Pros has come down. I've used Macs for the past 8 years and cannot say enough good things about their ability to run multiple huge programs at the same time.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
PeterLindsay
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Peter Lindsay

Post by PeterLindsay »

Donna, if you load up most machines with lots of RAM and make sure it has a high end graphics card then they can do the job. Its never cheap. MAC is always good but other brands work well especially if they are that brands "gaming" machine. The gaming machine is designed for fast processing and the ability to hand graphics at high speed. Part of your speed issue is also dependent on your internet connection is you are having all those folders open at the same time and working on the webpage while in the internet. In that case the computer can only process up to the internet what your connection will allow. I personally use Alienware which originally came out of Florida, but was bought by Dell - so I am not sure where they are made. I have bought 2 of these machines in 10 years. I buy them loaded and they are great. Not cheap but they are designed for handling graphics.
I would suggest it is like buying a lens for your camera. You buy the best glass you can afford in a lens with the capabilities that you need performed. The computer is the same. Both will break the bank for sure.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

I remember looking at Alienware and thinking they were impressive computers! Another thought from a Mac user, is that the I-Macs have more bang for the buck. If one buys an I-Mac with a smaller monitor, they travel almost as easily as a laptop.
Sharon Packer
rillcreek
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Donna Dean

Post by rillcreek »

Thanks you two...I appreciate your input. I'm off to take a second look at Dell and Mac :) I had heard that a gaming compututer would be good for what I was looking for. Took one of my horses to the shipper today, to go to his new home. You'd think I'd be happier but even the thought of a new computer and lens isn't cheering me up yet. :(
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Oh, Donna! Instead of buying two new cameras, a wide angel lens, and a laptop, I got a new horse. Now, I can't image being without him. I understand how you feel!
Sharon Packer

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”