Whats so different about you ?

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

LinFin
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Linda Finstad

Whats so different about you ?

Post by LinFin »

I have been reading a few marketing books lately and all of them sugest you should have a USP unique selling proposition - a way to tell your client what is so special about your business or skill set .

I find this question really hard to answer - how do you let your prospective client know what is so special about you and why they should hire you over the next guy?

please respond as I would really like to know

thanks
StephenCrowers
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Stephen Crowers

Re: Whats so different about you ?

Post by StephenCrowers »

Well, there's the rub, isn't it. I think you'll find that most of us are in the same boat - trying to figure out "what makes me, we'll...'me'".
We all are unique in our combination of skills, preferences, and experiences, but trying to articulate that into the classic "elevator speech" (you have the time it takes for the elevator to go up to the next floor to describe what you do and why they should hire you to do it), is hard. Is Coca Cola's USP really any different than Pepsi's? Obviously people choose one over the other for various reasons, so yes - even though hey are selling essentially the same product (cola). They've found ways to differentiate themselves as a brand (tradition vs new).
carolcoronios
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Carol Lynn Coronios

Re: Whats so different about you ?

Post by carolcoronios »

I'm still trying to figure that out - and not only in photography. :roll:

Decades ago (in college), a bit of graffiti read "I am who I am. This defines me, justifies me, and leaves me just as muddled as before." That about says it.

I have no idea how to differentiate what I do from that which many other equine photographers do. Some seem to specialize in a breed; some in a discipline. Or wild horses, or racing, or rescues. But that's subject matter, and while that is one aspect, I think the marketing gurus are talking about style. Juliet Harrison pops into mind, with her B&W silver prints and details that become 'landscapes' and appeal to more than just those who love horses.
Carol Lynn Coronios
As You Like It Equine Photography
fine art, portraits, competitions
. As You Like It Equine Photography Home
. As You Like It on Facebook
. As You Like It EPN portfolio

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”