Should I buy the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ii?

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

borsanliliana
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Liliana Borsan

Re: Should I buy the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ii?

Post by borsanliliana »

Hi Barb Young, thanks for the advice. I'm sure that every photographer should know this site. It's one of the most used options for keeping yourself informed about photo gears.
My question it was more about your personal experience and identify other potential alternatives for 70-200mmf2.8 IS II which I know, it's great but still too heavy and much too expensive. I investigate all potential alternatives at this lens and decide later for the acquisition. I tested last evening a 70-200mm f2.8 IS and non IS and after 10 minutes of tests my left arm turned off. More than sure that this lens have to be used with a monopod. Am I right? Is this mandatory? What is your experience? I would appreciate ladies feedback:)

Cheers!
Liliana
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

Using a monopod is completely a personal choice. For portrait sessions and shoots of a couple of hours, I did not use a monopod. When I started photographing shows, I bought a monopod for steadier tracking. I am so accustomed to using the monopod now, I really don't want to shoot without it. There are many times now, however, that I pop my equipment off the monopod and shoot when the need calls for it.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

For me it is the ONLY alternative, and yes, I use a monopod. I also lift weights and workout and walk, which is necessary, because keeping on the younger side of older is a job. (I'm 72)
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
rumbaughphoto
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Angela Rumbaugh

Post by rumbaughphoto »

snaphappyshaz wrote:I'm currently a photographer at outdoor show jumping events in France. I have been using my Canon 5d mkiii with my Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. I often struggle in low light first thing in the morning or early evening and need to get a new lens. I also think with. Also with a better lens I am sure the images would be netter quality.

I don't know if the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ii would be really necessary or if the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is would do me. The newer and more expensive lens will also be heavier and I really feel I need to hand hold the camera as I move around within the middle of the course. I welcome advice re whether anyone thinks it would be way to heavy for this. I could try a monopod but I use back button focus and track the horse, as opposed to focussing on the jump.

My other option would be to take the photos from a higher position outside the arena with a more powerful zoom. If anyone is using a Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
Or a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM I would love to hear your feedback.

Cheers
Sharon,

I have used the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens for years, first with version I and then upgraded to version II. I have also tried off brands (Tamron etc) and there is absolutely NO comparison in quality. I have never used a monopod for shooting, always hand held. It takes some getting used to, but VERY manageable and often I shoot at shutter speed 1/160...images are always TACK SHARP. I will also say that if you do use a monopod you HAVE to shut the IS off or it will interfere and you will end up with poor quality photos. So if you are going to use a monopod, then don't go with the IS :-).

I have also been using the 100-400mm version II USM lens as you mentioned above and also have to say that I am VERY, VERY picky about tack sharp photos. I was shocked at the quality and sharpness this lens has to offer!! I shoot a lot of wild horses in their environment so a lot of action and that lens kicks butt!! I never thought I would say this....but it is comparable to the 70-200 if used properly! I also hand hold this lens, never have used a tripod or monopod! On this lens, skimping for the older version I would not recommend as I was not as impressed with the quality! I will be purchasing this lens in the near future!

Hope this helps!!

Angela Rumbaugh
www.facebook.com/RumbaughPhotography
www.RumbaughPhotography.com
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

I have to agree with Angela about the quality of Canon glass verses other brands (not including Nikkor). I have a friend who photographs show jumping with one of the other brands on his Nikon body. There is no comparison to the sharpness of my Canon lenses and that other brand. I do disagree with you, Angela about use of a monopod and tracking shots in AI Servo using Mode 2 IS on the new 70-200 f/2.8 II. Whatever the issues were with using the IS on the first model, all is resolved in the II model. It tracks and captures tack sharp on the monopod using Mode 2.

If one is keeping cost and weight in mind, the non-is is a great way to get into a good glass or as Barb suggested buy used. I've had wonderful success buying used from B & H, KEH or Fred Miranda. I bought a !D Mark IV with 20K actuations on Fred Miranda...thought it too good to be true! I sent to Canon CPS and indeed it was pristine with 20K actuations at a great price.

As I said, I used the 100-400 f/4 - 5.6 1st model. It is an excellent horse show lens because of the reach, but Sharon Young is looking for a lens to handle low light and the 100-400 will not handle low light.

To get reach and deal with low light, I use a 300mm and 70-200 at f/2.8 or for greater versatility, I add a 1.4 tele-extender to my 70-200 f/2.8 giving it a static f/4.0.

And I love my monopod. It helps me keep shots level and flip from horizontal to vertical in an instant. As well, my shoulders do not ache from steadying 12 - 14 pounds of camera equipment over what can be a 8 am - 10 pm work day. For me it is essential, and I forget it is there. It is so fast to lower a monopod, rest it on your shoulder and go as fast as you want to the next location for your shot. Beware though, that either you need to have your collar securely screwed onto the monopod or use a really, really good clamp head like that made by Really Right Stuff.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”