Should I buy the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ii?

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

snaphappyshaz
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Young

Should I buy the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ii?

Post by snaphappyshaz »

I'm currently a photographer at outdoor show jumping events in France. I have been using my Canon 5d mkiii with my Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. I often struggle in low light first thing in the morning or early evening and need to get a new lens. I also think with. Also with a better lens I am sure the images would be netter quality.

I don't know if the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ii would be really necessary or if the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is would do me. The newer and more expensive lens will also be heavier and I really feel I need to hand hold the camera as I move around within the middle of the course. I welcome advice re whether anyone thinks it would be way to heavy for this. I could try a monopod but I use back button focus and track the horse, as opposed to focussing on the jump.

My other option would be to take the photos from a higher position outside the arena with a more powerful zoom. If anyone is using a Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
Or a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM I would love to hear your feedback.

Cheers
laurie lewis
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): laurie lewis

Re: Should I buy the canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ii?

Post by laurie lewis »

YES I had the 70-200mm (one) and sold it and bought the ii and it is sharper than the first one and just as fast and really a great lens.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

In my opinion, you have two options. If you want to spend less money, buy the 70-200 f/2.8 USM and use a monopod for stability. I had the 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM and my action photos were far superior if I turned off the IS and used a monopod for stability. In Mode 2, the IS fought for focus. I got so accustomed to turning the IS off, the added weight and cost made it not a good choice for me. Since, I purchased the 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II. The lens is much improved in that the IS in mode 2 actually works with AI Servo. Honestly, for the extra money and added weight, it's a tough call. Why don't you rent one of each and see which your prefer. Either lens is going to shock you with the improvement in quality over your current lens.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
snaphappyshaz

Post by snaphappyshaz »

Thanks so much for the advice. Unfortunately I'm not near anywhere where I could hire the lenses. I haven't even felt the weight of any of them yet! I agree that the IS probably won't be needed for the show jumping but understand that the newer model of the 70-200mm is sharper but is really heavy. I have always hand held the camera,tracked the horse and taken the image while still focussing on the horse as it jumps, which means my camera is never at the same height. I'm concerned that a monopod might be awkward. This could work better if I was not in the area with a more powerful lens but then I would be taking the same photos as the show jumping crowd who can afford better glass than me :cry:
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Oh, you are correct in that I do now know of a lens rental in France. As for the monopod, I too thought using one would be inhibiting. But it isn't. I cannot imagine photographing horse shows without one. As well, I use a Really Right Stuff quick release head on the monopod so that I can go to handheld immediately if needed.
Sharon Packer
snaphappyshaz

Post by snaphappyshaz »

Hi Sharon, thanks again. Your photos are excellent. With the show jumping events pictures, are you normally in the area or outside it?
kyllitedre
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Kylli Tedre

Post by kyllitedre »

I have seen a photographer taking photos with Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at Aachen Europeans and it was surprisingly good lens. She showed me her photos later in her laptop and they were very sharp when zoomed in. However, I would personally prefer 70-200 2.8. I am using it also without stabilizer, I actually sold my IS I version and kept non-IS, because for action I never use stabilizer and also the non-IS has better quality (probably IS II is still better, but it's also heavier and significantly more expensive).
Then again, for a full frame (Canon 5d mkiii), you will probably be lacking some zoom with 70-200 because you are used to the 300mm. My best comination in this case would be 70-200mm 2,8 and 300mm 2,8, both without stabilizer to lower the prize. Those 2 would definately be better than your 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS, but also still very expensive, even the non-IS versions. My recommendation is to go for 2,8 no matter what, once you have that aperture, you never want to go back. Sart with 70-200 and work yourself towards 300. You can try to find used lenses, I think you'd find them in France..
snaphappyshaz

Post by snaphappyshaz »

Thanks,
Was the photographer using the 100-400 outside of the arena? My concern with that lens would also be shooting in poor light, for example 7.45am in November. With my current lens, often the first 2 classes are not good enough quality. I need the ISO up far too high? With the 70-200 2.8 at least I won't have so much of a problem there.

I wouldn't be able to suddenly change lenses while the same rider is in, so I am not sure how I could use the fixed 300mm.
I try to take a minimum of 5 jumps and some of the arenas are large with jumps more in the distance. I fear I might loose sales only having 70-200mm.

Think I'm off to do a list of pros and cons! :hail:
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

You will not regret getting an F/2.8. I sold my 100-400 because of its low light limitations. I use two bodies and two lenses: the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 300 f/2.8.
Sharon Packer
kyllitedre
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Kylli Tedre

Post by kyllitedre »

Yes, she was using it in Aachen outdoor arenas.
But I would start with 70-200 for sure, there is no doubt it is better lens. You will almost never see a pro having lenses lower than 2,8.
In the future, 2 cameras is essential. What if one camera fails for some reason during a competition?! Definately many hard and costly descisions, but if you want to become better, start slowly buying better equipment. It is impossible to get all in one and cheap at the same time. Yes, you will lose some distance and maybe some obstacles at first, but you will gain in quality! Also, another suggestion is to go shoot other equestrian sports too. For example for dressage this is a good lens and you will get far more frames than in jumping. Besides, in my country everyone wants to be jumping photographer, but nobody likes dressage, except me. More money for me :D
snaphappyshaz

Post by snaphappyshaz »

Thanks for all that advice. I think I have been persuaded to get the 70-200 without IS, as it's lighter and cheaper. My only concern will be trying to use a monopod while moving around inside the arena (when the horse moves away from me, sometimes I jog around to my next shot). I am off to look at 2nd hand, which also makes me nervous!

Cheers again.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Sharon, I'm sure you will practice to see what works for you. If you are young, strong and steady, you may not need the monopod. Cheers!
Sharon Packer
Silivrenwolf
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Angela Mulberg

Post by Silivrenwolf »

Are you able to rent a lens online like from borrowlenses.com?
borsanliliana
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Liliana Borsan

Post by borsanliliana »

Hi everyone! Does anybody consider the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM for capturing equine photos(indoor, moving subjects, outdoor)? Is this lens something interesting to test? What's your opinion on that? Thanks!
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

Look here for tech and expert answers to your question. (not that we are not expert, of course! ;) )

http://www.dpreview.com/
DP Review
Digital Photography Review: All the latest digital camera reviews and digital imaging news. Lively discussion forums. Vast samples galleries and the largest ...

then you can go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com search for each lens, and read the specs and information for each - all the tech answers for comparison. B&H also has great prices, and you might consider a used Canon over a Sigma (I would).
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”