new board member

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

AlexW
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Alex Wilkins

new board member

Post by AlexW »

Hello all -
I recently joined the forums here to take on the class offerings. I've started taking photography more seriously as a hobby, and I've hit the limits of what little I was taught in Photoshop about 15 years ago. I grew up around cars, but it was my wife who introduced me to horses. So I photograph cars and horses, primarily. Race horses in action being one of my favorite subjects. Lucky for us, we live 30 minutes away from Churchill Downs, and my office is less than 10 minutes from there.

I shoot with a Canon T3i and a small lens collection. Looking to add a 70-200 f2.8 for sure. For budget reasons, I'm looking at the Tamron version (DI VC USD) or the non-IS Canon. When race season picks back up, I'll be renting them to try out before making a final call. Later on, I imagine I'll end up adding a 300mm f4 to get some tighter framing for the track, and aid in getting to the turf area.

My wife and I have three Arabians, with one due to foal in mid-March. Should have some good photo opportunities coming up :D .

Alex
Alex
Rally Photography
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Re: new board member

Post by shapack »

Hi Alex! Welcome to EPNet. :wave: I look forward to seeing your work. The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS is wonderful glass. I don't think you will regret that purchase. My favorite lens is the 300 f/2.8 but I do a considerable amount of low light work. The 70-200 is my go-to lens. If you are working in good light, you might consider the 1.4 extender with the 70-200 f/2.8. That will almost give you the reach of the 300mm f/4 without the expense.

Wishing you all the best with the foaling!
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
BarbYoung
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Barb Young

Post by BarbYoung »

Alex, if you're a paid member, you'd be much better off using the General Members Forums, rather than this the EPNet Guest Forums, which are available to nonmembers. The General Member archives are a wealth of information on any subject within Equine Phogoraphy from shooting, proper poses and movement, business information, etc., etc. go back to the Board Index, and scroll down to the General Members forums, and ask your question, introduce yourself, etc. there. There is a place to introduce yourself there as well.
"If we're ever gonna see a rainbow,
We have to stand a little rain"
~NGDB

Website
EPNet Portfolio
join me on Facebook
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Post by shapack »

Opps. Barb is right! I'll respond to your questions in the Members' Forum.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
AlexW
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Alex Wilkins

Post by AlexW »

Barb, Sharon, thanks for the welcome. At this time, I'm not a paying member just yet. I'm acting as a guest for the time being.

As the Lightroom class start date comes closer, I'll give a go at the trial membership, and then make a decision from there. I'll post up a few pictures of our horses here once I get back to the other computer and resize them :)

Alex
Alex
Rally Photography

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”