Case Tracking on Canon DSLR Cameras QUESTION.

Not a member but have a question related to equine photography? Ask it here! You must be registered on the forum to be able to post here.

Moderator: admin

michele44
Real Name (first and last name): Michele Wassell

Case Tracking on Canon DSLR Cameras QUESTION.

Post by michele44 »

Hope this is the right place to ask this question. I wasn't quite sure as I am new here as of today. This looks to be a great place I landed on.

I have a question as I will be shooting wild horses on a sanctuary in two days (so excited, but nervous). I used to photograph equestrian many years ago, but my camera only had three choices for focus tracking (One shot, AI Focus, AI Servo) and now my camera (5DmkIV) has tracking cases with options to adjust each one. I have not completely understood the use of each one and been leaving it on CASE 1, but I am not sure that will be appropriate for shooting wild horses. Can someone PLEASE help me here and recommend what CASE setting I should have it on and if I need to adjust anything with it? Thank you so much for your help, time and advice.

Michele
shapack
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Sharon Packer

Re: Case Tracking on Canon DSLR Cameras QUESTION.

Post by shapack »

Photographing wild horses was an experience I will never forget. What lens will you be using? I will give you some beginning pointers. You need to photograph action in AI Servo and landscape in One Shot. AL Focus is not a good option to control the outcome of your images. If you give me info on the lens, I'll help with lens setting if you need it. As for the settings on the new 5D, Mark IV, you have to read your manual. That particular camera is quite different from the other 5Ds and the 1D series.
Sharon Packer
Horse Sports Photography, LLC
http://www.HorseSportsPhotography.com
michele44
Real Name (first and last name): Michele Wassell

Post by michele44 »

Thank you

I will be using probably the Canon 100-400mm at times with 1.4x. I am good on settings (AI Servo, focusing, etc), but just need help in reference to the CASE tracking as there are 6 options and then if need be, 3 sensitivities to each case that could be adjusted. 7Dii, another 5D and IDx some series all have these - newer versions for sure.
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Okay.

Case 1: For subjects that change speed and move erratically – I found this one to be the optimal default setting for bird photography.
Case 2: Continue to track subjects, ignoring possible obstacles – if you need to actively track a bird in flight while ignoring trees and other objects in the scene.
Case 3: Instantly focus on subjects suddenly entering AF points – if there are many birds in the frame and you want to focus on the closest one.
Case 4: For subjects that accelerate or decelerate quickly – when camera to subject distance changes fast, such as a bird flying towards you.
Case 5: For erratic subjects moving quickly in any direction – if a bird is perched and you are anticipating it to fly off.
Case 6: For subjects that change speed and move erratically – suitable for photographing smaller birds that fly erratically, or for photographing birds diving / fighting in air

I use continuous tracking when I photograph horses. Based on the descriptions, I would use Case 2.
Sharon Packer
larabryn
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Lara Joy Brynildssen

Post by larabryn »

I agree with @SharonPacker using Case #2.
I also wanted to mention that while the original question was about which case setting to use for a brand new Canon 5D Mark IV, very similar case settings can ALSO be chosen in previous 5D versions and also in the 7D series.
I use a 5DIII and 7DII and have customized the case settings for AI Servo tracking for at liberty (or wild) equine photography on both of those cameras.
I just wanted to mention that so that anyone who hasn't upgraded to a 5DIV yet knows they she can benefit from this discussion too :)
shapack
EPNet Pro Member

Post by shapack »

Thanks for the info. I had the original 5D and don't remember those options. But then I had several of the early Canons. I made a rule for myself that selling photography had to pay for the equipment. I'm still using a 1D Mark IV and the first 7D for a backup. They work just fine in the situations described as cases 1-6 with lots of practice. The 1D has the option of focusing on any moving object that enters the frame or case 3. I found that setting will not allow me to track my subject, rather it picks up extraneous movements within view of the camera. Please share your photos after your trip! Being alone on the Pryor Mountains with herds of wild mustangs was truly a spiritual experience. Enjoy every moment of your time with wild horses.
Sharon Packer

Return to “EPNet Open Forum”