Resilient Souls

Moderator: admin

Sagetopaz
EPNet General Member
Real Name (first and last name): Alise Lamoreaux

Resilient Souls

Post by Sagetopaz »

I never really thought too much about horse rescue. Even though one of my horses came to me through our local rescue, I tried not to think about his situation too much. I wanted to believe that the well-off couple that owned him, who lost their business, who were getting divorced and losing everything, were unusual. They hid the situation they were facing from their outer world and their horses suffered. I wanted to think that there wasn’t too much suffering involved. I stayed away from reading the stories that would appear in news releases or on the Internet. I would send some money to horse rescue groups every now and then, but keep an emotional distance. I had done my part. And then the Horses In Need Documentary Project came along through the Equine Photography Network. I thought a long time about whether I thought I could handle photographing horses in need. I was afraid. Afraid of what I might see; afraid of what I might hear; afraid of what I might learn; afraid I would want to take all the horses I saw home with me and hide from the bigger issues.

That is how my story begins. As I started learning about the issues surrounding horses in need, and meeting the horses themselves, I was able to look at the situation in ways I never had. I began to want to know more about the people who create the situations the horses find themselves in. As a result, I created a blog space in which to tell the story I was seeing unfold. I wanted to tell this story with all three of the horses in one space to show a bigger picture of the issues involved. Each horse highlights characteristic of those involved.

I am thankful that the EPN decided to challenge photographers to tell a story about a topic that is hard to see. Taking the photos and telling the story has moved me to a deeper level of understanding. And it has called me to action.

http://horsesinneeddocumentary.blogspot.com/

The complete story may be found at the link provided. Any of the photos may be viewed larger by clicking on them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sagetopaz
Sagetopaz
EPNet General Member

Re: Resilient Souls

Post by Sagetopaz »

Update#1

When I first saw Picasso Moon, something about him moved me. I had decided to participate in a photographic documentary about horses in need. As much as I wanted to participate, I was equally scared about what I might find and what issues I might have to confront. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to handle confronting the pain of animal cruelty.

Indeed, Picasso Moon has a troubling tale in his past. But is was not his past I met that day with my camera. I was his resilient soul. His present and his future.

Corny as it might sound, at the moment of our meeting, I felt a bit like Tom Smith in the story of Seabiscuit when he sees Seabiscuit for the first time, they look into each others eyes, and he knows they will meet again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sagetopaz
Sagetopaz
EPNet General Member

Re: Resilient Souls

Post by Sagetopaz »

Update #2
Change Happens
Through a number of events over the course of the last month, Picasso Moon has come to live at my house. He's only been here a few days, but the fit seems natural. I will be keeping a blog about his progress as he moves towards his future. Please follow along with his story and watch him grow :D http://sagetopaz.wordpress.com/
Sagetopaz

Return to “Horses in Need Documentary Project 2009”