Deserving Horses

Moderator: admin

tma
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Laurie Taylor

Deserving Horses

Post by tma »

When I originally began working on the Horses In Need project, I was focusing on the story of a single horse.

During my visits to the Southern California Thoroughbred Rescue’s rehabilitation and adoption locations however, I met so many very deserving horses, and the absolutely dedicated people caring for them. I decided that I just had to share more on some of the other horses there, as well.

The Southern California Thoroughbred Rescue initially had twenty six Thoroughbred horses in their care when I met them. At this writing, they are now caring for over 30 horses.

I met “Percy”; he had an injury and been through a low end auction; he was purchased by a feedlot/kill buyer. SCTBR was successful in rescuing this handsome boy from the feedlot. Due to the injury, his prognosis is uncertain and it will be some time before he may be offered for adoption.
090715w_2476.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tma on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
tma
EPNet Pro Member

Re: Deserving Horses

Post by tma »

There is “Honey”.

Honey went through a stockyard auction, and went to a private buyer. She was thin and weak when ridden through the sale ring. Seven days later, she surfaced again -on Valentine's Day- at yet another low end auction; this time, she brought $ 95. The rescue outbid the kill buyer for this very sweet, beautiful mare. Now she has been rehabilitated and she is ready for a new home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tma on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
tma
EPNet Pro Member

Post by tma »

“Flash” won $225,000 on the racetrack in 75+ starts, with 20 wins, and retired sound. His owner, wanting him to find a safe home, sent him to SCTBR at the end of his racing career. He is a very handsome horse, and I was absolutely in awe of his power, and his floating trot from the first time I saw him move. Dressage, anyone?
Last edited by tma on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
tma
EPNet Pro Member

Post by tma »

“Red” was thin and sore when the kill buyer was outbid by SCTBR. He brought $ 110 at auction.

He certainly is a stunning horse. He is expected to be offered for adoption in the near future.
tma
EPNet Pro Member

Post by tma »

“Louie” is in rehabilitation after having been purchased at the auction for $ 270. He was bid on by the kill buyer, who was outbid by SCTBR.

He had a partially healed injury, plus his knees are swollen - likely due to multiple injections. He recently underwent a lameness evaluation, and has been cleared by the veterinarian for flat/light riding. He will be offered for adoption after he is started back under saddle.
090629w_9723.jpg
Last edited by tma on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
tma
EPNet Pro Member

Post by tma »

“Hasty” also wound up in an auction, after just one lifetime start. Again, the kill buyer was outbid. Ten months later, “Hasty” is shown here with SCTBR caretaker, Jackie - shortly before his adoption!
tma
EPNet Pro Member

Post by tma »

These are but a few of the horses that I have met through SCTBR. Many more have similar stories. Their rescues were made possible by donations made by individuals and organizations alike, plus the countless hours put in by those wonderful individuals who volunteer to find, bid, transport and care for them. And of course, those special people who ultimately provide them permanent, adoptive homes.

These horses now have a more positive future. They are loved. They are cared for. They fell through the cracks, and have found a “soft landing”.
Last edited by tma on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Cotterman
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Laura Cotterman

Post by Laura Cotterman »

Great job, Laurie. I like how you have incorporated specifics that are simple and easy to identify with and a variety of types of excellent images for broad appeal.
Online photography courses for equine and outdoor photographers
http://www.learntotakehorsephotos.com
Beverley
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Beverley Roberts

Post by Beverley »

Hi Laurie, I really enjoyed your article about your rescue centre, celebrating the successes - your photos are beautiful!
Beverley Roberts
http://www.shadowandlight.co.uk
Canon 50D - Canon 70-200[IS]/ Sigma 24-70 / Canon 60macro all F2.8
The road to perfection is always under construction - author unknown

Return to “Horses in Need Documentary Project 2009”