A Helping Hand

Moderator: admin

Darlene Wohlart
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Darlene Wohlart

A Helping Hand

Post by Darlene Wohlart »

0809_MG7968.jpg

I decided to follow up on a rescue farm we visited for an EPNet workshop in March 2009 in the Ocala, Florida area.
The name of the farm was Beauty's Haven and the woman that is the driving force in this operation is Theresa Batchelor.
It is actually a story about Theresa and the incredible odds she has overcome and continues to overcome to do what she does. Theresa is an incomplete quadreplegic.

Some years ago, doctors discovered a tumor growing inside Theresa's spinal cord. Through the tumor was removed, Theresa was left with no feeling or proprioception below her neck. She can walk, use her arms and do chores we take for granted by constantly watching her arms and legs. If this wasn't enough a few years after the tumor was removed she developed three herniated disks where the tumor had been removed. Surgery wasn't an option , so Theresa retired from her job.

Through this ordeal, Theresa had a vision, a dream, call it a hope of one day having horses, even saving horses in need.
Beauty's Haven became that dream when an abused Arabian filly came into her life and renewed Theresa's vision of turning her love of horses into a calling.....saving neglected, abused or unwanted horses.

Theresa's day starts with mixing the morning feed, then feeding the 34 or more horses on the property. She paces herself, but manages to check on each horse's health, give shots when necessary, meet with vets, prospective clients,fund raise and keep up with a daily blog of how the needy horses are fairing.

I have posted a slide show on my web site: http://www.equinephotography.com click on Events.
This is the blog piece. I hope to upload the story tomorrow to the web.

Darlene Wohlart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darlene Wohlart
equinephotography.com

Return to “Horses in Need Documentary Project 2009”