Camelot Angels in Connecticut

jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member
Real Name (first and last name): Judy Bosco

Camelot Angels in Connecticut

Post by jequiphoto »

When The Equine Photographers Network did this assignment last year I wanted to participate but didn't know anyone who fit the bill. I vowed to keep my eyes and ears open to find a rescue organization or individuals who had rescued horses.
Fast forward to January of this year. While cruising Facebook, I discovered that a friend and client, Cathy Setzer, had rescued a Camelot Auction horse. I sent her a message and asked if I could come over and photograph her new horse. She was thrilled, but it took us a while to find a free weekend in which we were both available.
While waiting for our shoot date, she explained to me how she came about adopting her horse. Cathy had been looking to adopt a horse after losing her beloved thoroughbred of many years. She had gone to an auction at UConn and came home with a miniature horse to keep her aged gelding company. Still feeling the urge to adopt another horse, she kept her eyes open at the postings for Camelot in NJ.
When an aged Standardbred “gelding” came up, she felt this was the one and became “his” new owner. He seemed to be in really good health for a horse his age (late 20's) so Cathy was thrilled. Not long after, some better news came her way. It seems the tattoo on her new acquisition's lip had been misread and what she actually had was a 15 year old mare who had some very nice Standardbred bloodlines.
Francesca's real name is Energetica. She was foaled March 19, 1994 , was a pacer and won close to $300,000 in her career. Her sire was Energy Burner who won just over a million in his career. Her dam was Scenic Bid and it looks like she was primarily used as a broodmare because her winnings total just $6000.
I finally was able to meet Francesca in mid March and was surprised at what I saw. She was almost all shed out of her downy soft winter coat. Her summer coat though was a funny, almost yellow color. I thought it was odd and was anxious to see her all shed out.
Cathy explained that when she first arrived, she was a little timid and cowered in her stall. She came around very quickly and is a real love now, especially if you bring treats!
Our second shoot brought a big surprise to me. I almost did not recognize her. Francesca's “yellow” coat had been replaced by her beautiful dark bay coloring. There was no sign of the funny color I had seen just a few months earlier.
Cathy has future plans to fence off a small section of pasture and put up a run in shed. She would like to help out others who adopt and act as a quarantine before horses go to their new homes.
When discussing what I wanted the photographs for, I asked Cathy if she knew anyone else in Connecticut that had adopted an auction horse. She said she did and would contact her to see if she was interested in me coming over. About a week later, I heard from Deb Chisholm, who had adopted a coming four year old buckskin gelding.
Deb had been helping spread the word through Facebook and by donations for Camelot and the other rescue organizations. She had been also keeping her eyes out for that special horse. She had bid on one horse, but he found a home in northern New England. She kept searching and when Aslan came up, she knew he was the one. It seems he had an issue with his right eye, and it did not look good for him, even though he was young. Deb also has vision problems with the same eye, and she just knew they would do great together. While he was in quarantine, she was able to see him for the first time. He came right over to her and put his head on her chest, as if to say “This is my mom!”.
When I arrived to photograph them, their bond was evident. He was so well behaved and it was clear he really trusts her. Deb is taking it slow as Aslan is still young and has a lot of maturing to do, but she has ridden him lightly, and he is taking everything in stride.
Deb knows less about Asland's Background but she does know he was born on 5/28/2006 . The original owners name was Sharon Voller in Dubay, North Dakota. To the best of her knowledge, Aslan might have been kept as a stud to be used for breeding, but because of his injury, was gelded in 2008.
Horse auctions had been a part of American culture for a very long time. The fact that a lot of horses are shipped to Canada and Mexico for slaughter is a hard pill to take. I hope someday that this will all go away, but angels such as Cathy and Deb can change their lives, one horse at a time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jequiphoto on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member

Re: Camelot Angels in Connecticut

Post by jequiphoto »

Taken a few weeks ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member

Post by jequiphoto »

A better angle.
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member

Post by jequiphoto »

All smiles!
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member

Post by jequiphoto »

Aslan on the spring solstice.
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member

Post by jequiphoto »

Showing his nice trot. We let him loose to get some free trot shots but alas, he thought it was time to canter around at full speed. He even did some Karate kicks and airs above the ground for us!
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member

Post by jequiphoto »

Deb taught him to do this in about a month. Not only athletic, but smart too!
jequiphoto
EPNet Pro Member

Post by jequiphoto »

Deb and Aslan, a wonderful pair!
LynnM
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Lynn Margason

Post by LynnM »

Ah, I remember that last shot! Great stories, both of them. And terrific horses; so heartwarming to see them appreciated.
carolcoronios
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Carol Lynn Coronios

Post by carolcoronios »

God bless the angels! NICE shots, Judy...

C
Carol Lynn Coronios
As You Like It Equine Photography
fine art, portraits, competitions
. As You Like It Equine Photography Home
. As You Like It on Facebook
. As You Like It EPN portfolio
Ddaside8
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Diana Duffy

Post by Ddaside8 »

This is a lovely piece, Judy. It's encouraging to learn about people such as Cathy and Deb who quietly do good work with rescue horses. Your photos illustrate the piece nicely, and I'm sure they must be pleased with your work.
Diana

"Ask little, expect less, praise more."

http://www.resurrectionfarmphotography.com
Taza
Registered Guest
Real Name (first and last name): Susan Carter

Post by Taza »

It's good to see some of the Camelot horses having such a happy ending! Very nice piece.
If the world was truly a rational place, men would ride sidesaddle. ~Rita Mae Brown

I only gallop eight or 10 [race horses] each day; I do have to take it easy somewhat. ~Richard Rettele, 70 year old trainer and jockey

http://www.susanmcarter.com

Return to “Horses in Need Documentary Project 2010”